• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New VAT FRS 16.5% - how to save 2%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New VAT FRS 16.5% - how to save 2%

I am an IT contractor on 14.5% VAT FRS. I do not fall under limited cost business. So to avoid paying 2% extra tax to HMRC, what are my options except spending that 2% on stationary every quarter?

Originally posted by gaumzi View Post
    I am an IT contractor on 14.5% VAT FRS. I do not fall under limited cost business. So to avoid paying 2% extra tax to HMRC, what are my options except spending that 2% on stationary every quarter?
    Get a grip. It was never your money to begin with; you are simply collecting it on behalf of HMRC.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

So to avoid paying 2% extra tax to HMRC, what are my options except spending that 2% on stationary every quarter?
      1) Leave FRS
      2) Deregister from VAT completely
      3) Close down your company and create a new one - you get 1% discount in your first year
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        1) Leave FRS
        2) Deregister from VAT completely
        3) Close down your company and create a new one - you get 1% discount in your first year
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Do a search.

Comment

This attitude is part of the reason the change came in to begin with. FRS never intended to be an income stream for your co. It was an allowance from HMRC for simplifying your VAT return and essentially making their lives easier. The fact that many businesses saw it as a means to make more money is what drove the changes. Complaining that you are losing money will not help, you are not. VAT is a tax on the end consumer that you collect on behalf of HMRC. The fact they they used to let you keep some of it was just a nice side effect.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              FRS never intended to be an income stream for your co. It was an allowance from HMRC for simplifying your VAT return and essentially making their lives easier.
              It was an allowance to cover your input VAT without having to claim it explicitly. It still is under limited cost rules, just not a very good one.

Comment

If you're happy to commit fraud you can use whatever FRS percentage you like.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I am an IT contractor on 14.5% VAT FRS. I do not WANT TO fall under limited cost business.
                  FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Get a grip. It was never your money to begin with; you are simply collecting it on behalf of HMRC.
                    Very controlled response.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X