• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Notice Period from Client, I can't give notice!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been offered a contract that I've turned down following advice from my accountant and IPSE's IR35 advice line. I would what everyone else things of this...

So the contract offered would allow the client to give immediate notice and the Contractor cannot give notice.

My accountant said that the client able to dismiss me immediately is a big IR35 red flag. This was confirmed by the IPSE's IR35 advice line, pointing me at MBF Design Service v HMRC where "the judgement indicates that a right by the employer/end-user to ‘terminate without notice’ is likely to have a significant bearing on the applicability of IR35".

What has really rubbed salt in the wounds is that my Fiance (also a contractor) heard of another contract with a huge Financial Services company that is also has the client being able to give no notice. The agency mentioned that a lot of Financial Service companies are moving to this.

So now not only is the HMRC going after us, but the clients are attacking us too!

Clients have always tried to put these terms in contracts.

It has always been up to the contractor to try and negotiate them out, and if they can't to walk away.

Oh and by law, employees can give notice so there must have been other red flags in the contract.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Dwainpipe View Post
      I've been offered a contract that I've turned down following advice from my accountant and IPSE's IR35 advice line. I would what everyone else things of this...

So the contract offered would allow the client to give immediate notice and the Contractor cannot give notice.

My accountant said that the client able to dismiss me immediately is a big IR35 red flag. This was confirmed by the IPSE's IR35 advice line, pointing me at MBF Design Service v HMRC where "the judgement indicates that a right by the employer/end-user to ‘terminate without notice’ is likely to have a significant bearing on the applicability of IR35".

What has really rubbed salt in the wounds is that my Fiance (also a contractor) heard of another contract with a huge Financial Services company that is also has the client being able to give no notice. The agency mentioned that a lot of Financial Service companies are moving to this.

So now not only is the HMRC going after us, but the clients are attacking us too!
      Sorry? Having a clause that you cannot give to an employee makes you liable for IR35? No es comprende...

Sure you've got this the right way round? I've been saying for many years that contractors dniether want nor need notice periods. If nothing else, there will be other clauses the client can use to effect an immediate termination, such as there being no more work.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Sorry? Having a clause that you cannot give to an employee makes you liable for IR35? No es comprende...
        I concur. This makes no sense.

Not being able to give notice to client is just a bad contract. No ir35 bearing at all.

No notice period for the client to bin the contractor cannot in any way imply employment. In fact it is clearly NOT employment.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Now I've read the linked article I think the OP either misunderstand or is miscommunicating. The judgement in that link is that no notice period is an indicator of being outside NOT inside.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I have a similar contract I cannot give notice. No problem, if I want to leave I will go to the client and/or agency and say please sack me.
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
              I have a similar contract I cannot give notice. No problem, if I want to leave I will go to the client and/or agency and say please sack me.
              Same here. If I stop turning up and working ("oh dear I'm sick and can't work for 6 months) I think they'll terminate the contract rather than trying to sue me. In my case, though, I do have some extra leverage with my bossette who wouldn't want me spilling any unsavoury beans if ClientCo tried to keep me against my will.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Now I've read the linked article I think the OP either misunderstand or is miscommunicating. The judgement in that link is that no notice period is an indicator of being outside NOT inside.
                Agreed - instant notice is an indicator for being outside IR35.

OP who did you contract review?

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                  Agreed - instant notice is an indicator for being outside IR35.

OP who did you contract review?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

My contract has no notice period from me - been through professional review (B&C) and passed - no issues. The agency I am currently through is the only one in the last 10 years that B&C haven't asked for contract changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X