• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting - a cross border affair

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting - a cross border affair

Hi everyone,

I'm a resident of Northern Ireland wanting to start as a contractor in the Republic of Ireland. My intention is to rent an apartment in Dublin while I keep my main residence, here in Northern Ireland.

I'm completely new to contracting and I'm read up on how to get set up as a contractor, however I feel that the North / South border situation complicates things a little.

Should I set up the following in Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland?

- Limited company
    - Business bank account
    - Accountant

I'm assuming it's best to keep all aspects of business in one country, I just need advice on which is best for me!

Are you going direct to the end client or are you working through an agency?
    If it's through an agency, then check your contract as to where you are billing them, in what currency, etc.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Are you going direct to the end client or are you working through an agency?
      If it's through an agency, then check your contract as to where you are billing them, in what currency, etc.
      At the minute I don't have a contract, I'm still in the 'getting started' stage. Though to answer your question, I would say that I'll be dealing with an agency 90% of the time.

Comment

OK, so you're one step back.

Step 1. Apply for contracts, don't be location specific
        2. Get interviews
        3. Get an offer
        4. Then start looking at accommodation, etc.

No point in renting somewhere if you're not going to be working there, or you're paying rental for several months before you get a contract.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

On taxation. You will be taxed in Ireland on your contract in Ireland. However as your main residence will still be the UK and you will tax all other income eg Investments, Rental income, Capital Gains Tax, in the UK. You will also have to declare your Irish income in the UK though they take into account tax paid in Ireland. I recommend that you use an Irish accountant. If you have family in Northern Ireland this is proof of your UK residency. If not just ensure you have proof of your visits, telephone bills, record of cash withdrawals and receipts in Northern Ireland are examples of what you can send to the Irish tax office if requested.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            On taxation. You will be taxed in Ireland on your contract in Ireland. However as your main residence will still be the UK and you will tax all other income eg Investments, Rental income, Capital Gains Tax, in the UK. You will also have to declare your Irish income in the UK though they take into account tax paid in Ireland. I recommend that you use an Irish accountant. If you have family in Northern Ireland this is proof of your UK residency. If not just ensure you have proof of your visits, telephone bills, record of cash withdrawals and receipts in Northern Ireland are examples of what you can send to the Irish tax office if requested.
            That's great insight, thanks for your thoughts on that. I've spoken to an accountant with experience in both contracting and cross-boarder dealings. He informed me that while UK tax would be more advantageous, it would be much more convenient to be set up a limited company in Ireland, as clients prefer to deal with Irish companies. I guess that answers my query!

Comment

In a very similar position to the OP, however I'm planning on remaining resident in NI for most of the contract, WFH initially, then maybe part-time commuting to Dublin.

Can anyone advise whether it's best to:
              - Work through an Irish based umbrella (Director)
              - Work through a UK based umbrella
              - Set up a ltd company?

From initial quotes, I've been promised around 58% retention from a UK based umbrella, or 61% from an Irish based director umbrella.

I'm confused more than anything else!

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nedk87 View Post
                In a very similar position to the OP, however I'm planning on remaining resident in NI for most of the contract, WFH initially, then maybe part-time commuting to Dublin.

- Set up a ltd company?

From initial quotes, I've been promised around 58% retention from a UK based umbrella, or 61% from an Irish based director umbrella.

Thanks
                Same advice as in the thread you started yesterday.

Comment

the rental in the republic will be the least of your worries on this one.
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Originally posted by nedk87 View Post

- Set up a ltd company?

Thanks
                    Unlikely to see 58%-61% more like 53-54%

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X