Contracting - a cross border affair Contracting - a cross border affair
Posts 1 to 6 of 6

Nervous Newbie

Default Contracting - a cross border affair

Hi everyone,

I'm a resident of Northern Ireland wanting to start as a contractor in the Republic of Ireland. My intention is to rent an apartment in Dublin while I keep my main residence, here in Northern Ireland.

I'm completely new to contracting and I'm read up on how to get set up as a contractor, however I feel that the North / South border situation complicates things a little.

Should I set up the following in Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland?

- Limited company
    - Business bank account
    - Accountant

I'm assuming it's best to keep all aspects of business in one country, I just need advice on which is best for me!

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

Are you going direct to the end client or are you working through an agency?
    If it's through an agency, then check your contract as to where you are billing them, in what currency, etc.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Are you going direct to the end client or are you working through an agency?
    If it's through an agency, then check your contract as to where you are billing them, in what currency, etc.
    At the minute I don't have a contract, I'm still in the 'getting started' stage. Though to answer your question, I would say that I'll be dealing with an agency 90% of the time.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

OK, so you're one step back.

Step 1. Apply for contracts, don't be location specific
    2. Get interviews
    3. Get an offer
    4. Then start looking at accommodation, etc.

No point in renting somewhere if you're not going to be working there, or you're paying rental for several months before you get a contract.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

More fingers than teeth

On taxation. You will be taxed in Ireland on your contract in Ireland. However as your main residence will still be the UK and you will tax all other income eg Investments, Rental income, Capital Gains Tax, in the UK. You will also have to declare your Irish income in the UK though they take into account tax paid in Ireland. I recommend that you use an Irish accountant. If you have family in Northern Ireland this is proof of your UK residency. If not just ensure you have proof of your visits, telephone bills, record of cash withdrawals and receipts in Northern Ireland are examples of what you can send to the Irish tax office if requested.
    I'm alright Jack

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    On taxation. You will be taxed in Ireland on your contract in Ireland. However as your main residence will still be the UK and you will tax all other income eg Investments, Rental income, Capital Gains Tax, in the UK. You will also have to declare your Irish income in the UK though they take into account tax paid in Ireland. I recommend that you use an Irish accountant. If you have family in Northern Ireland this is proof of your UK residency. If not just ensure you have proof of your visits, telephone bills, record of cash withdrawals and receipts in Northern Ireland are examples of what you can send to the Irish tax office if requested.
    That's great insight, thanks for your thoughts on that. I've spoken to an accountant with experience in both contracting and cross-boarder dealings. He informed me that while UK tax would be more advantageous, it would be much more convenient to be set up a limited company in Ireland, as clients prefer to deal with Irish companies. I guess that answers my query!