• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LSE listed ETFs hit by US dividend tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LSE listed ETFs hit by US dividend tax

I hold ETFs in an investment account owned by my Ltd co.

For some reason, this year my broker has started withholding full 30% of US taxes on dividends. This has never happened before, and I have always diligently filled in my W-8BEN-E. I have tried to get an answer from the broker, but pulling out my own teeth is easier than getting a straight answer from them, and my accountant is clueless about foreign taxation.

Anyone else experiencing this, and does anyone know exactly how to fill in W-8BEN-E to avoid this?

The worst thing is, the ETF in question is listed in London Stock Exchange, in GBP --- I didn't even buy a US stock!

Thanks.

What ETFs are these?

And what broker?
    Last edited by syrio; 16 May 2017, 17:52.

Comment

I was going to say "Sounds like a cock-up, give them a ring".
      BUT
      Does the W-8BEN-E apply to companies or just individuals?

I have one for US stocks held in my SIPP, but that's in my name.

Sounds like a cock-up, give them a ring.

Comment

When did you fill in your W8-BEN form? If it was more than 3 years ago, it will have expired.

But I would expect that your broker would have been able to tell you that.

Comment

Originally posted by syrio View Post
          What ETFs are these?

And what broker?
          The ETF is EMDV (ProShares Emerging Markets Dividend ETF) and the broker is Interactive Brokers.

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
          I was going to say "Sounds like a cock-up, give them a ring".
          BUT
          Does the W-8BEN-E apply to companies or just individuals?

I have one for US stocks held in my SIPP, but that's in my name.

Sounds like a cock-up, give them a ring.
          The W-8BEN is for individuals, the W-8BEN-E is for companies.

Originally posted by syrio View Post
          When did you fill in your W8-BEN form? If it was more than 3 years ago, it will have expired.

But I would expect that your broker would have been able to tell you that.
          That's the only possibility I can see. I normally get a reminder from them near the time of expiry.

I have raised a second ticket with them with detailed information (after they tried to fob me off initially). Let's see what they say.
          Last edited by OneManBand; 17 May 2017, 06:54.

Comment

I was informed by my broker that there has been a change to the rules with regard to derivatives in the US where tax is now deducted, this is maybe what is causing it.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
            X