• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

unfair dismissal legal action

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    I don't know what research would have helped in this case, SE. Even Stek said he would talk to other agents early in a contract. I think the OP was just naïve and has a lot to learn about how agents 'operate'.

And I will happily admit I didn't do much in the way of research before entering contracting; my learning was 'on the job'. I also worked in a warzone and I didn't do much research before going there either, or trust me I wouldn't have got past the front door!
    Research into how being a permie differs from being a contractor. I don't mean experience of how agents work, but the life of a contractor. You don't really have a job any more to lose! Hope OP understands this, otherwise contracting isn't what he thinks it is.

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
      I never said they should go back to permie! That was someone else :P
      I know! I was picking on you!

Comment

I don't know what research would have helped in this case, SE. Even Stek said he would talk to other agents early in a contract. I think the OP was just naïve and has a lot to learn about how agents 'operate'.

And I will happily admit I didn't do much in the way of research before entering contracting; my learning was 'on the job'. I also worked in a warzone and I didn't do much research before going there either, or trust me I wouldn't have got past the front door!
        If you used this forum and other resources found via Google you would at some point find someone telling you about the agent reference trick. (There is a massive thread on this forum about two references.)

I actually have other contractors as family and friends', so while I had already read on here about reference tricks, I was also told by every single one of them to be careful what info you give to agents.

Oh I do research and do it anyway. There was some book that went around when I was a teenager that was also brought up in careers advice that basically told you to do your research, then sod it and do it.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

While the OP was naive - I'd still consider filling a complaint with the ICO - seems like there was a breach of personal data, which has resulted in financial loss. I don't subscribe to the notion that just because we are contractors, then laws don't apply at all - and agents can just do anything with impunity.

Will it achieve much - probably not. But if you're benched anyway - what do you have to lose. It will burn a few of their cycles to deal with it, which is less time they have scamming others - and the pimp may just pause for thought next time around if it causes him enough grief (unlikely though).

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            While the OP was naive - I'd still consider filling a complaint with the ICO - seems like there was a breach of personal data, which has resulted in financial loss. I don't subscribe to the notion that just because we are contractors, then laws don't apply at all - and agents can just do anything with impunity.
            The ICO doesn't work like that.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              I always do.

You never know when you are likely to be canned, always keep thine options open with the added benefit of wasting as much agent time as possible...

I wouldn't have given as much away as the OP though, really got kippered there.

Agree with the consensus, forget it, move on...
              I agree, but we have to make sure that everything it's confidential.

Comment

Well good for you. I am so glad there are so many people around who know what to do and say from day one of contracting and can make the judgement that people should go back to being a permie on the basis of a screw up. The rest of us learn from our mistakes (and I've made quite a few) but it's the learning that makes us better at what we do and how we do it.

To the OP; you've learned a rotten lesson. Now look for something else and don't do it again.
                The "Modus Operandis" from the agencies was the worse part for me. When I was doing a research I ended up here.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
                  You fell for the agency's oldest trick... move on. Nam and shame though.. perhaps on your LinkedIn too, but do it in a very clever indirect way kind of thing.

This was the first thing that came to my mind. With clever play of words name and shame them.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                    You are, sorry, were a contractor so you havent been dismissed. Your contract has been terminated.

You got played for the newbie you are by the agent although frankly, why you were keen on another interview 1 month into a contract goodness only knows.

It sounds like you were tempted into the first contract because of the money, perhaps that's why you agreed to the telephone interview because of the rate offered (if the credit card co is based in the north west, their rates are tulipe for newbies but even so).

You're not cut out to be a contractor imho so you need to go back permie.
                    I didnt give the full picture. I wasnt ready to give the interview. The agent heckled my everyday just to have a casual chat with his colleague (not with the company). So not being rude, I just gave it. I accept my naivity and learnt a lesson.

But what I dont agree with your suggestion of going back to permie. You dont chicken out at the first sign of trouble. You fall, learn and get up and move on.

Thanks for your advice anyways. Keeping it positive

Comment

Originally posted by mathus View Post
                      I didnt give the full picture. I wasnt ready to give the interview. The agent heckled my everyday just to have a casual chat with his colleague (not with the company). So not being rude, I just gave it. I accept my naivity and learnt a lesson.

But what I dont agree with your suggestion of going back to permie. You dont chicken out at the first sign of trouble. You fall, learn and get up and move on.

Thanks for your advice anyways. Keeping it positive
                      The general feeling is that as a contractor you have no rights. You have to suck everything up and move on.

Comment

Working...
                      X