• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Challenger business Bank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenger business Bank

Has anyone heard of this business challenger bank https://getcoconut.com. seems to be a hybrid of a business bank account with an accountancy service built in. They are looking for investment, wonder if anyone here knows anything about them?

They've got a CTO. And then they've got a Freelance CTO.

Both with beards.

Stay well clear.

The freelance lifestyle gives us space to explore an alternative way of living.

That’s what lures us in. The promise of flexibility, independence and control. The opportunity to embrace what really matters and make the system work for us. The vision of choosing our own clients, expressing our creativity, and maybe – some day – working from a sandy beach in Thailand.
    Cloud Cuckoo Land.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

But that's my vision too. I don't seem to have got any closer though after 13 years.

Anyway anyone who is anyone has a beard nowdays. I think that's why my career is limited, I can't grow one

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
        Anyway anyone who is anyone has a beard nowdays.
        Ha.

Beards rule.

Comment

Classic FinTech startup pattern, bet the CTO is building the "cloud infrastructure" on his credit card and it's already starting to creak. Beard is fine though. Wonder when they'll be hiring for DevOps...

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
            Wonder when they'll be hiring for DevOps...
            or accountants... bankers... lawyers... ;-)

If the rate is good, work for them, but don't put your own money into their accounts.
            You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post

Anyway anyone who is anyone has a beard nowdays. I think that's why my career is limited, I can't grow one
              Don't worry fashion goes in cycles.

Clean shaven will be back in soon....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Message from Coconut

Hi Everyone

I spotted this, so thought I'd respond. I'm Sam, Co-founder and CEO of Coconut.

We're creating a business bank account for freelancers and self-employed people that tells you how much tax to save, automatically categorises your expenses and helps you stay on top of client payments. That said, we're not becoming a bank. Your money will ultimately be held by Barclays.

We became freelancers a couple of years ago and found the money side of things painful. We're using the rich payments data that banks currently throw away to drive out manual process from money management and accounting. This should have been done a long time ago, but banks have been really slow to innovate.

I'm afraid we've only got one CTO. He's called Allistair Crossley and he does have a smashing beard, or is it designer stubble... Being a startup focussed on freelancers, we try and work with our customers where possible. We also want to promote them, so that page on our website is really dedicated to the people we've worked with in the past. We're going to change the title of that section to make it clearer.

We really appreciate any feedback so keep it coming. And get in touch directly if you have any questions sam at (you can guess the rest).

We'll be launching our full product later this year. And we'll be making a dev ops hire too. We're always looking for great developers so ping us a note if this sounds interesting.

I look forward to your comments.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by soconnor View Post
                  We're creating a business bank account for freelancers and self-employed people that tells you how much tax to save, automatically categorises your expenses and helps you stay on top of client payments. worked with in the past.
                  Doesn't Freeagent do that already?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

PSD 2?

Originally posted by soconnor View Post
                    I'm afraid we've only got one CTO. He's called Allistair Crossley and he does have a smashing beard,
                    Our condolences to Alex Speller - one time Freelance CTO and still on your website.

Is all this to do with https://www.evry.com/en/news/article...as-we-know-it/?
                    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X