• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LTD Closure - most tax efficient way?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need an accountant to verify, but I would think you'd pay 20% CGT rather than dividend tax, if you liquidated. You just can't claim ER, as far as I see it.

Why do you need the funds? If you're looking to invest then could you change the SIC and re-purpose the company for the investment (for example property development/BTL)? That way you wouldn't need to extract the funds and pay tax, only to then invest the remainder.

Comment

Late to the party...

To advise I'd want to know a bit more about the situation with regards to the two companies. Yes they're both in IT, but do they both have the same ownership? If so, begs the question why do you have two in the first place?!

If there's a good reason for you having two companies, then potentially MVLing one would be a viable strategy. If the only reason for having two is you had lots of assets in one, want to extract that, so started up a new Co while you think about it, then MVLing probably isn't a viable option.

If you do fall foul of the transactions in securities rules and liquidated, then my understanding is the distributions would be dividends, so ER is irrelevant. Therefore they would be subject to your marginal rate of dividend tax (probably 38.1% on the bulk of it), not 20% CGT.

Re the two "schemes" you mentioned:

- nothing particularly contentious about EIS...but this is a tax relief for people investing money. So in itself it wouldn't help you get the money out of the old company, just may be a way that you could spend a hefty chunk of that money in a certain way that then negated some of the tax sting.

- UAT - never heard of it. May be valid, may be dodgy, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        UAT - never heard of it.
        Nor has my client
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by whatwhatwhat View Post
          So, if I want no stress/worries re. HMRC, am I do be paying 45% on the £450k? Ouch!
          Why do you want / need the money? If you don't actually need the lump sum then you may be best to not take money from the new company for a while and gradually pay out the £450k as dividends over the next several years. Build up your £1 million in the new company and then worry about how to get that out then...
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Have you read http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ast-while.html - might be an option?

Comment

Working...
            X