• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in the UK for a US company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in the UK for a US company

I have been offered a contract to work from home in the UK for a US company.

Some people recommend using a Limited company if employed from the US. I hate paper work and thought about using an Umbrella company but am not sure if there would be legal implications. I have been a perm until now.

Also they would like me to go to the US for 2 weeks training, but I am not sure if I would have any issues with border control.

Martin

If you have the right visa why would you have an issue with border control.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

2 weeks training is probably OK under the Visa waiver programme.

https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...sa-wizard.html

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
        2 weeks training is probably OK under the Visa waiver programme.

https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...sa-wizard.html
        If you're receiving training, it's perfectly fine. If you're delivering training, it's perfectly not fine, and neither is a B class visa.

OP, yes you could use either a Ltd or umbrella, but many umbrellas will not take on US clients and, for the same reason, PI insurance is significantly more expensive when operating through a Ltd if you have clients in North America.

Comment

Would it be possible for them to employ me directly as a permanent employee, working in the UK? I have no US work visa.

Comment

It would be possible for them to take you on as an employee, but they very possibly wouldn't want to. They certainly won't want to do anything that would let HMRC claim they have an establishment here.

Paperwork would probably be very limited and the tax savings would be substantive as a Ltd Co, as long as they are willing to give you an IR35 friendly contract.

Comment

Originally posted by mjdenham View Post
              Would it be possible for them to employ me directly as a permanent employee, working in the UK? I have no US work visa.
              Yes, you could do this. As WiB suggests, you shouldn't be doing anything that involves management of the company (although this is their risk, not yours). If you go this route, you'll need a PAYE Direct payments procedure (DPNI) with HMRC. This will involve you handling PAYE, but there will be no Employer's NI (only Employee's NI and PAYE).

National Insurance for people in the UK working where there is no employer in the UK

Comment

Working...
              X