• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Those that moved off FRS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those that moved off FRS

I know many on here intended switching to 'full VAT' when the FRS % changed to a 'one-size-fits-all' rate of 16.5%.
    I didn't; I stayed on FRS [less beneficial these days I know], but was curious to know how those who did switch have found it in comparison.

Is it a 'pain in the A' [paperwork, calculations, etc.], or has the transition gone OK without any worries? Do feel better off having switched, or do you have regrets? Not a survey obviously, but just curious tbh as it's Friday afternoon...
    Clarity is everything

I find it fairly painless. I only reclaim big ticket items like hotels though rather than all the small stuff.

It's an extra box to fill in for each VAT transaction which with NW is no problem, and more than offset due to spending between 250-400 a week on hotels, and it automatically doing the VAT on the mileage claims too.

Comment

The biggest hassle for me was asking retailers for VAT invoices/receipts. Out of the five I had to ask four took 48 hours max to provide them. The fifth I had a one month argument before they relented and just paid the VAT back to me so I could forward it to HMRC. Funnily enough because I knew I had changed schemes I asked them as soon as I got the goods.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Our clients have been give or take 50:50 leave FRS vs stay. Virtually all staying on it will be worse off, know that, but feel it'll only be by a modest sum and they'd prefer that rather than have to check every business purchase they make to see whether it was VATable or not and ensure they enter correctly onto FreeAgent.

It's not difficult, but can be a pain, especially if you do want to do it for every transaction. As Sue Ellen points out, often for smaller purchases you won't get a formal VAT receipt unless you specifically ask for one...and doing so typically means waiting for a manager to come out, grumble lots, before cobbling something together.

Comment

Painless for me, other than having to split my FreeAgent VAT periods and file a combined return via the HMRC website.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
            As Sue Ellen points out, often for smaller purchases you won't get a formal VAT receipt unless you specifically ask for one...and doing so typically means waiting for a manager to come out, grumble lots, before cobbling something together.
            Actually it was a larger purchase I had an issue getting a receipt for. All the small suppliers were happy when asked to provide a receipt and some of the delay was due to them being on a different time zone.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
              I know many on here intended switching to 'full VAT' when the FRS % changed to a 'one-size-fits-all' rate of 16.5%.
              I didn't; I stayed on FRS [less beneficial these days I know], but was curious to know how those who did switch have found it in comparison.

Is it a 'pain in the A' [paperwork, calculations, etc.], or has the transition gone OK without any worries? Do feel better off having switched, or do you have regrets? Not a survey obviously, but just curious tbh as it's Friday afternoon...
              If you use accounting software such as Xero or FreeAgent, you should not notice the difference. You will just have to enter the VAT amount per your receipts in the software. If you don't get a vat invoice to cover the vat, you will just miss out on the vat claim. It is piece of mind to be on the standard scheme. If you need to make a bigger purchase, you will know that you can claim the vat. On the FRS you can also claim vat for capital items but you need to spend over £2k.

Comment

I stayed on FRS because I'm in a contract local to where I live so no accommodation expenses, and I'm past the 24 month rule so no travel anyway (my bus ticket is zero VAT anyway).

My VAT 'surplus' in May was £18. My outgoings were my Office365 subscription (so zero VAT anyway), my hosting (Digital Ocean, so zero VAT), my mobile phone bill (about £26 inc VAT), my accountants bill (£114 inc VAT), plus some other non VATable stuff anyway. So it's probably neither here nor there. If my situation changes and I end up with more regular VATable costs, then I'll probably leave the FRS.

Obviously not as good as February's FRS surplus of nearly £300, but the FRS was intended to simplify VAT accounting, not to make big profits.
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by Chart Accountancy View Post
                  If you don't get a vat invoice to cover the vat, you will just miss out on the vat claim.
                  If it's a sizeable transaction, you have their VAT number and details of what it was for, why should it be your problem. Yes, it's best to chase it up and get a VAT receipt retrospectively, but if this proves "hard", why should your business be out of pocket?? Case in point poxy online hotel bookings where the hotel takes your card payment at the desk and is clearly registered (based on how much they must turn over to continue to exist) and only passing some of this back to the convenience operator overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                    my Office365 subscription (so zero VAT anyway)
                    Could you expand on this? Is this because they're providing it exc VAT because you gave them your VAT number?

AFAIK you should still be paying the VAT on it in your return as "EC Services" (freeagent term maybe)?
                    https://www.freeagent.com/support/kb...r-from-the-eu/

Comment

Working...
                    X