• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Me loaning money to LTD CO

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me loaning money to LTD CO

Hello

I'm buying things on my personal debit card for the biz this year, but LTD CO won't be profitable for sales until next year. How best to structure this on LTD CO accounts?

I was thinking just a list of what is owed, yet to be reimbursed.

Alternatively, I could write up 50,000 loan letter. Pay the money into LTD CO. Then reimburse the money back out for purchases made on personal debit card.

Any helpful tips appreciated!

Cheers, rich

https://www.cobiaaccounting.co.uk/si...irectors-Loans
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

https://www.accountsandlegal.co.uk/s...o-your-company
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you for the link.

The page doesn't mention if I need to physically transfer the 50,000 to LTD CO as cash. So it sounds like I can just record the debt as a loan on that Director's Loan Account Statement that my accountant will use.

Does the Director's Loan show up on annual accounts? Would it look bad if shows 50,000 !?

Comment

It's perfectly normal for directors to fund new companies this way. Just add the things you buy to the director's Loan Account and then you can pay it back when you can.

The accounts will show the company being 50,000* in the red. But you'll be able to carry forward that loss to reduce a future CT bill. It'll all work out in the end. Assuming you make any money that is.

*Edit: Thought I'd better clarify before someone else nitpicks. If the things you're buying are assets, that is non-trivial things with resale value, then those are also listed in the accounts. So you could buy a £50,000 machine with your own money, and the balance sheet would show the company as worth £0 (£50,000 assets, £50,000 debts). The asset would then be depreciated over 4 years. Phew. In most cases a company worth £0 after it's first year is doing well.
          Last edited by VectraMan; 8 July 2017, 08:37.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Vm you are confusing capital accounts. The co will be "in the red" in p and l terms by what was actually spent. The 50k is simply a creditor.

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
              Hello

I'm buying things on my personal debit card for the biz this year, but LTD CO won't be profitable for sales until next year. How best to structure this on LTD CO accounts?

I was thinking just a list of what is owed, yet to be reimbursed.

Alternatively, I could write up 50,000 loan letter. Pay the money into LTD CO. Then reimburse the money back out for purchases made on personal debit card.

Any helpful tips appreciated!

Cheers, rich
              Hi Rich

You can either transfer funds to your company and make payments from the business bank account or pay from your personal account and claim out of pocket expenses. It will all be recorded at the end through your director's loan account as a credit in your accounts I.e Monies owed to the director. This will not be an issue and it happens very often in the first years of trading when the company is not yet profitable directors can pay for business expenses personally. It is just important to keep a good bookkeeping to record all business transactions appropriately.

Comment

If nothing bought:-

asset. Cash at bank 50k.
                Liability. Dca 50k.

Shareholders funds 0.

Your implication was that taking a loan magically creates a trading loss. It doesn't.

Obviously i take the point that the funds could be used to buy assets.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                  If nothing bought:-

asset. Cash at bank 50k.
                  Liability. Dca 50k.

Shareholders funds 0.

Your implication was that taking a loan magically creates a trading loss. It doesn't.

Obviously i take the point that the funds could be used to buy assets.
                  See above re: Nitpicking.

The thread was about buying stuff for the company, not putting money in the company account for the hell of it. Buying stuff creates a trading loss, assuming as I did at first that he was paying for services or expenses to the tune of £50K as that was the number mentioned. And I corrected that to say not if they're counted as assets. Phew.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    See above re: Nitpicking.

The thread was about buying stuff for the company, not putting money in the company account for the hell of it. Buying stuff creates a trading loss, assuming as I did at first that he was paying for services or expenses to the tune of £50K as that was the number mentioned. And I corrected that to say not if they're counted as assets. Phew.
                    Thank you for all replies guys. I understand better now. The purchases are services.

Comment

Working...
                    X