• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing company (not the usual question)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing company (not the usual question)

So the time has come...

The company year end was end of Jan, and it hasn't traded in this year (but it did pay some salary and PAYE - not sure that counts). I found something from HMRC saying that I need to submit a final CT return, but not CH accounts, then when that's done and dusted (can claim a few £s refund) I can pay a final dividend and apply to CH to dissolve the company.

The problem is how to do the former. Using the website I tried putting in 1st Feb - 31st Jul as the accounting period, but it complains that "We have been unable to match your outstanding Accounting Periods to the Accounts you are filing". I phoned HMRC, and the extremely disinterested bloke told me that I should submit accounts for the whole year. "Even though I'm currently half way through?" I said, and he assured me that was the correct thing to do.

Not surprisingly the website refuses to let me submit an end date in the future. Thank you "hotline".

As a further complication, I discovered a week or so back that there was a system to update the accounting dates at Companies House, which I did thinking that would trickle through to HMRC. CH shows that that has gone through, but it doesn't seem HMRC have taken note.

But seeing as I don't owe HMRC (or anyone else) anything, can I just send the DS01 and not worry about the rest?

Any advices appreciated. Or should I ask NLUK's accountant?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Very small point. If salary has been paid but nothing invoiced, are you due a CT refund?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Very small point. If salary has been paid but nothing invoiced, are you due a CT refund?
      Under normal circumstances, yes, or at least I don't see why not. It's a loss.

In my case, no, because of the 'Ol IR35. The salary and PAYE is (more or less) what was left over of the 95% so went into last years accounts as amounts due within one year and reduced the CT bill appropriately. I'm not 100% sure that was the correct thing to do but it was the only thing that made sense.

However MyCo. did lose money on insurance and bank charges. Should get back about £30. So happy to walk away from it if it makes the paperwork easier.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        So the time has come...

The company year end was end of Jan, and it hasn't traded in this year (but it did pay some salary and PAYE - not sure that counts). I found something from HMRC saying that I need to submit a final CT return, but not CH accounts, then when that's done and dusted (can claim a few £s refund) I can pay a final dividend and apply to CH to dissolve the company.

The problem is how to do the former. Using the website I tried putting in 1st Feb - 31st Jul as the accounting period, but it complains that "We have been unable to match your outstanding Accounting Periods to the Accounts you are filing". I phoned HMRC, and the extremely disinterested bloke told me that I should submit accounts for the whole year. "Even though I'm currently half way through?" I said, and he assured me that was the correct thing to do.

Not surprisingly the website refuses to let me submit an end date in the future. Thank you "hotline".

As a further complication, I discovered a week or so back that there was a system to update the accounting dates at Companies House, which I did thinking that would trickle through to HMRC. CH shows that that has gone through, but it doesn't seem HMRC have taken note.

But seeing as I don't owe HMRC (or anyone else) anything, can I just send the DS01 and not worry about the rest?

Any advices appreciated. Or should I ask NLUK's accountant?
        From memory, there's a CH form (think its the AA01) you need to complete to change the company's end of year reporting date. You can then do final accounts and dissolve..

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ence-date-aa01

Comment

Originally posted by CDJ View Post
          From memory, there's a CH form (think its the AA01) you need to complete to change the company's end of year reporting date. You can then do final accounts and dissolve..

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ence-date-aa01
          That's the one what I done. Do you know if that automatically filters through to HMRC?

Comment

Accounting Periods

You'll need to contact HMRC and ask them to shorten/adjust the period of account, explain that you're closing the company and can't submit without adjusting the period end.

Tends to take a couple of days to filter through to your online account. The Co House forms won't auto adjust HMRC's dates.

You can do this through your online account but recently have found it easier just to call them and get it sorted over the phone.

Comment

Thanks Darren. Looked again at the online system, and although I can find in the FAQ something about changing accounting period online, it talks about "downloading HMRC software" which sounds like they haven't updated it since the days of PDF.

It looks like I'm going to have to have another go at phoning.

Comment

Working...
              X