• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I pay my spouse/partner? The definitive answer.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Where is the business justification for that?
    Makes life a bit easier for my wife and accountant to sort things out if I get hit by a bus if she's already a Director. One less issue for my executor to worry about.

(OK perhaps that isn't strictly a *business* justification per se, but its a good enough justification for me)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      Makes life a bit easier for my wife and accountant to sort things out if I get hit by a bus if she's already a Director. One less issue for my executor to worry about.

(OK perhaps that isn't strictly a *business* justification per se, but its a good enough justification for me)
      No it's not, strictly speaking, if you also have stuff like key man insurance in place. But it will be up to you to justify it if challenged.

By far the safest way is to use dividends as per the Arctic decision. Probably save a little on tax as well.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        By far the safest way is to use dividends as per the Arctic decision. Probably save a little on tax as well.
        Or do both. If your spouse/partner is a shareholder it can be beneficial for them to also be a company officer (doesn't have to be director) if you ever close the company down and take a capital distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          Or do both. If your spouse/partner is a shareholder it can be beneficial for them to also be a company officer (doesn't have to be director) if you ever close the company down and take a capital distribution.
          Don't get me wrong, if I was ever in a position I could use these tricks I probably would be it's all a piss take.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X