• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business between spouse's limited companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business between spouse's limited companies

Hi,

Quick question - my partner is an IT contractor and I work in PR. There have been times when I have helped him promote his business - which if it were anybody else I would have charged for...

I just wondered what HMRC's position would be if I were to submit an invoice to my partner (I can imagine his face!), or he to me should I ever need any IT help?

The only information I can find online is about paying spouse's/partner's salaries out of one limited company... which isn't what I'm after.

Thanks,

Originally posted by santanethy View Post
    Hi,

Quick question - my partner is an IT contractor and I work in PR. There have been times when I have helped him promote his business - which if it were anybody else I would have charged for...

I just wondered what HMRC's position would be if I were to submit an invoice to my partner (I can imagine his face!), or he to me should I ever need any IT help?

The only information I can find online is about paying spouse's/partner's salaries out of one limited company... which isn't what I'm after.

Thanks,
    I don't imagine HMRC would give a stuff about a legitimate invoice for a business transaction between two limited companies, except if it were a fraudulent way of transferring monies between said companies for the avoidance of corporation tax at year end, for example. But you could always, ahem..."ask your accountant"...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by santanethy View Post
      If you can show that you did the work then they won't care.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What amounts are you looking at here?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          What amounts are you looking at here?
          Why would that be relevant, beyond the points already made about being genuine invoices for work completed?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Why would that be relevant, beyond the points already made about being genuine invoices for work completed?
            Just interested to see what they are planning to do. Intrigued how much PR and one man band IT contractor needs and how much 500 quid a day IT help the PR person needs.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Intrigued how much PR and one man band IT contractor needs
              Sweet FA

and how much 500 quid a day IT help the PR person needs.
              loads..... have you worked with these luvvies before?

As others have stated, if it's honest work at a fair rate then no issue. Although HMRC view will be if it reduces the total tax burden for the 2 companies they'll dig very deep into the detail of what was provided.
              If it's tax neutral then I'd question why OP would bother with the paperwork.
              Also are both people directors of both companies? If they are then another question would be why bother charging when you're already an officer of the company.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Just interested to see what they are planning to do. Intrigued how much PR and one man band IT contractor needs and how much 500 quid a day IT help the PR person needs.

Need to be careful that 'PR' isn't applying for roles and updating LinkedIn profile.

Comment

I'd be interested in knowing this too. Maybe I should have taken out that radio ad. Still hum the jingle to myself.

Comment

Working...
                  X