• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company paypal account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've set one up for my company to do just this. One payment yearly to Canada which I find easier and cheaper through paypal. Bit of a pain to set up, with mutliple hoops to jump through.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamy View Post
      I've set one up for my company to do just this. One payment yearly to Canada which I find easier and cheaper through paypal. Bit of a pain to set up, with mutliple hoops to jump through.
      Paypal business account or individual account ?

Comment

Business Account

Comment

We've had a Papyal Business account for years with no problems. We never keep any money in there, just link it to the company debit card so purchases come out of the company bank account.

Keeps it simple when buying software licenses etc from the states.
          Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Wouldn't it be just as easy to pay with a personal credit card and claim it back? Or is there some sort of cash flow/credit option making this difficult?
            Apart from the difference between wholly and exclusively if paid for personally, and incidental use if paid for by the company, yes.

Ask your accountant to explain the difference if you're not sure.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
              We've had a Papyal Business account for years with no problems. We never keep any money in there, just link it to the company debit card so purchases come out of the company bank account.

Keeps it simple when buying software licenses etc from the states.
              This. It's simple enough to create for your company and you even get a penny or two from them when they do the initial authorisation test to approve your card / account.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Apart from the difference between wholly and exclusively if paid for personally, and incidental use if paid for by the company, yes.

Ask your accountant to explain the difference if you're not sure.
                You are in a grumpy mood today.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You are in a grumpy mood today.
                  I'd have thought that you'd know the difference (or know someone to ask )

If you pay for something personally and then claim it back, you fall into the "wholly and exclusively" limitation. However, if you buy through the company then you may be able to use the item personally as well with some incidental use.

Imagine you need to know where to go to get to client site (some cars apparently don't have in built navigation, nor a chauffeur). So you buy a sat nav device and leave it in the car. If you pay personally and claim it back, then it could be argued that it's not a business expense because it's not wholly and exclusively for the business since you could use it yourself. However, if you bought it through the company directly, then you would still be able to use it personally as an incidental use. See posts passim ad nauseum for more details.

(That better? Now **** off and ask your accountant )
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I'd have thought that you'd know the difference (or know someone to ask )

If you pay for something personally and then claim it back, you fall into the "wholly and exclusively" limitation. However, if you buy through the company then you may be able to use the item personally as well with some incidental use.

Imagine you need to know where to go to get to client site (some cars apparently don't have in built navigation, nor a chauffeur). So you buy a sat nav device and leave it in the car. If you pay personally and claim it back, then it could be argued that it's not a business expense because it's not wholly and exclusively for the business since you could use it yourself. However, if you bought it through the company directly, then you would still be able to use it personally as an incidental use. See posts passim ad nauseum for more details.

(That better? Now **** off and ask your accountant )
                    He specifically said office equipment.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

He specifically said office equipment.
                      And computers and printers etc.

So what's your point, caller?
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X