• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Portugal - Non habitual residents - remote working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portugal - Non habitual residents - remote working

Hi - does anyone have experience of the Portugal NHR regime.

http:// nonhabitualresidentsdotcom - Non-Habitual Residents – Portugal – NDR | Portuguese Non-Habitual Residents Regime

I work remotely for a UK company via a UK Ltd company and tramp around Europe. I was thinking of hitting the Algarve for the winter sun and stumbled across this piece of tax legislation.

If you're only wintering over there you wouldn't qualify for NHR status and you'd still be UK tax resident so I don't immediately see the benefit.

Comment

Hi Alan - thanks for the response. I spend more time outside of the UK than inside - in the past year probably 45 days. What I have read on NHR is that the you need to be resident on 31st December to qualify. If I spend the winter there (Oct-April) I am likely to spend more than 183 days in Portugal.

Tax regime for non-habitual residents - Living in Portugal

"having, at 31st December of that year, a home in such conditions that would lead to the assumption that it is intended to be kept and occupied as your habitual residence"

it is feasible that I could rent an apartment long term, all year round to satisfy that condition.

Comment

I'm no expert but I do know a little about tax in Portugal as I have a house out there. I *think* the tax year = calendar year so the 183 days would need to all be in 2018 to qualify. And remember that there are more rules re UK tax status thank simply the 183 days rule. It might be worth speaking to PT tax expert and I doubt you'll get one on here. I know of a couple I could forward the details on for you.

Comment

Alan - any contacts you have would be gratefully received. I'm starting from scratch here - google didn't return any links to similar situations - but did bring me here. Appreciated - thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldPlatedPermie View Post
            Alan - any contacts you have would be gratefully received. I'm starting from scratch here - google didn't return any links to similar situations - but did bring me here. Appreciated - thanks.
            A happy customer..... They do exist.....

Good luck.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              A happy customer..... They do exist.....

Good luck.
              Yes, they exist, if you have an outstanding performance , and the clients will be happy to work with you again.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldPlatedPermie View Post
                Hi - does anyone have experience of the Portugal NHR regime.

http:// nonhabitualresidentsdotcom - Non-Habitual Residents – Portugal – NDR | Portuguese Non-Habitual Residents Regime

I work remotely for a UK company via a UK Ltd company and tramp around Europe. I was thinking of hitting the Algarve for the winter sun and stumbled across this piece of tax legislation.
                Strictly speaking you are liable for tax wherever you do your work. If you settle in Portugal and register there, they will demand you fill out a tax form. If your income is in the UK then they will ask how much time you spend in the UK and further details about that income. It is quite probable that if it is clear that you are working in Portugal remotely for a UK company that they will expect you to have registered your business there and paid tax on it regardless as to whether you are registered on the Non-Habitual residents regime.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks Blaster - that makes a lot more sense than the previous couple of replies.

So any income received as wages would be due to Portuguese tax regime and income tax. But any dividends would fall under NHR?

I intent to file for a tax number when I arrive there - probably next week. But would like to do a E101 so that NI goes to the UK. If my reading is correct.

Comment

You need to read the UK/Portugal dual tax treaty, then plan from there. It covers all the income types and how they will be taxed.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X