• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension contributions from employer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A minor point on company contributions is to make sure your provider will take company contributions and also that they know any given contribution is a company contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by suresh505 View Post
      I think that is probably the best thing to do in my scenario. In the pension regulator's website, it only mentions the salary details (and age) to decide if auto enrollment is applicable or not. Can I assume that both the directors can be exempt from auto enrollment even if we receive a salary (£11,500 each) ?
      As long as:

all employees are directors without contracts of employment (you won't have or I assume you would know about it) then the company has no responsibility under auto enrolment.

If you are unsure about the online notification to the pensions regulator then you could try giving them a call.

Comment

You might find this link useful:

https://automation.thepensionsregula.../notanemployer

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick@Intouch View Post
          It might be better for you to setup personal arrangements that the company then makes employer based contributions to. This would be easy to do and would allow you to control the contributions as well as the way that they are invested.

I recently spoke to my accountant regarding this. He says that contributing pensions through auto enrollment scheme is free of charge and that SIPP providers charge a fee. Could you let me know what additional features does a SIPP offer? Is it worth the cost?

Comment

Charges

I recently spoke to my accountant regarding this. He says that contributing pensions through auto enrollment scheme is free of charge and that SIPP providers charge a fee. Could you let me know what additional features does a SIPP offer? Is it worth the cost?
            You may find this charges comparison useful:-

Auto enrol charges

Comment

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
              You may find this charges comparison useful:-

Auto enrol charges

Thanks. So, it appears like even if I choose auto enrollment, there is an Annual Management Charge (AMC) that I need to pay as an employee. From the link you had provided, this varies between 0.30% to 0.75%. I now need to compare this against fees charged by SIPP providers.

Comment

Thanks. So, it appears like even if I choose auto enrollment, there is an Annual Management Charge (AMC) that I need to pay as an employee. From the link you had provided, this varies between 0.30% to 0.75%. I now need to compare this against fees charged by SIPP providers.
                I would also check what you can invest in.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hmmm...pensions are on the edge of a typical accountant's expertise, but I don't think the above is necessarily true.

If you're a contractor, my view would be you want to avoid auto enrolment if you can. AFAIK auto enrolment is basically just about forcing you/your company to pay a minimum amount each month, based on salary, with lots of submissions and admin crap going along with it. Opting out doesn't mean you can't contribute to a pension, just means you can do it as/when you see fit.

If a pension is investing funds in a certain way there will likely be some kind of charges linked to that. This is where you get the debate about active vs passive management, with most people seemingly thinking passive (ie auto follows the FTSE/whatever, not relying on some expert to out guess the market) is better, as they typically have lower charges.

Comment

Pay pension contribution to wife, employed by company, 20% shareholder

So i've read this thread and some others on contractor uk relating to pensions.

What I want to do is pay some money from the company from last FY and this FY into her existing Old Mutual pension.

Company circumstances

Director 80% shareholder
                    Wife/Admin/bookkeeping etc 20% shareholder (no other titles/responsibility) - Salary approx £200/month
                    Company had been trading since july 2016

I get the idea that auto enrolment just means admin hassles.

The company wants to pay my wife a pension contribution as 2 lump sums, equal to or less than salary paid to a pension that amalgamated pension from several employers into one by Old Mutual.

So just get the payment details from Old Mutual, send the money in two lumps, letting them know it is a company contribution and not to reclaim tax on it.

Is that likely to be ok.

Company director does not need/want pension contributions at present.

Comment

You know auto enrolment doesn't apply? How much will you be paying to your wifes pot?
                      Do we assume there is no accountant in the picture?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X