• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No signed timesheet - no actual contract!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Good hearted risk taker? Is this an example of that? I can think of a raft of words to use instead I am afraid.
    Don't judge, yet anyway. He was frickking caning it with a previous client 17 months straight, never a problem, while like most here we were scrabbling for work. Though tbh I'm thus scratching my head too as to how this situation all came about, he has had some issues I cannot repeat here. As per some of the previous replies I think the Intermediary has just washed their hands of the debacle, and has been waiting for an invoice to hit the inbox.

Comment

Originally posted by JCinCUK View Post

I know Factoring has its supporters and detractors, personally I don't use them but I don't just work for anyone, but now I'm wishing I'd told him to appoint one, he'd have lost 3.5% of the previous billing but at least those 3 weeks would have been largely paid.
      Forget factoring. If the bill isn’t paid after a 2/3 months the factoring company will have the money back off you. Their only purpose is to assist with cash flow.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by JCinCUK View Post
        Work was done over Jan/Feb. Wasn't an invoice he sent, just a 'Activity Report' detailing what he did and how many hours he was there. Seems to me step one is to Invoice, and wait.
        If he has done the work 7 months ago and not being paid and have no response from the agency I would ask for legal advice.

When there is no written contract in the UK is there any law that can defend you?

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post

When there is no written contract in the UK is there any law that can defend you?
          There are 3 things to make it legal to charge.

1. An order. Could be a P.O. or email, or contract or statement of work agreed.
          2. Proof of delivery. Could be many things.
          3. An invoice.

A contract is not required but does provide protection to both parties.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

3. An invoice.

He has a set of emails, a report sent with a read receipt.
            Read receipts could be used as a proof of the delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

3. An invoice.

There is also implied contracts where just turning up makes a contract but it going to be a nightmare if you have to start down that avenue.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                There is also implied contracts where just turning up makes a contract but it going to be a nightmare if you have to start down that avenue.
                I see a lot of cases similar like this in this forum, and probably already preview by law.

Companies don't like lawyers and by asking a lawyer to represent him in order to communicate with them, probably he will be paid with no need to go to court.

Comment

I see a lot of cases similar like this in this forum, and probably already preview by law.

Companies don't like lawyers and by asking a lawyer to represent him in order to communicate with them, probably he will be paid with no need to go to court.
                  PS: Sent an ultimate email or a letter stating that if you not be paid in one week, next time you will be represented by a lawyer.

Comment

PS: Sent an ultimate email or a letter stating that if you not be paid in one week, next time you will be represented by a lawyer.
                    Rubbish. That's the worst thing you can do. It will show you've no idea what's going on and they'll call your bluff. At that point they'll know exactly what type of person they are dealing with and you won't have a hope.

You see a lot of other people suggesting this but it never happens. Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 5 October 2017, 16:02.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In the UK such things don't work.

You need to give the other party "reasonable" notice that they owe a debt which needs to be paid.

In the case of no contract you are probably looking at 28-30 days e.g. a month.

Only after that time can you you start chasing them, but again you must notify the other party when telling them they owe a debt that you will take enforcement action which may include legal action.

This is because we have harassment laws and they have been successfully used against a utility company, British Gas, who claimed a customer, who I think was a landlord, owed them money but she could prove she didn't.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X