• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD Accountancy - returning to quality service standards?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do not hesitate to contact me for further information such emails as prove if evidenc

SJD accountancy unprofessional services and dishonest commercial relationship
    I have been using SJD accountancy services since 2014 until 2019. Disappointingly during this period, I have been exposed to a lack of professionalism, constructive changes and dishonest commercial relationship.
    It has taken to 2 years to them to set up a direct debit
    SJD has reduced the level of services, charge for services that were included in the package.
    SJD has introduced penalties of 175 pounds for late self-assessments submissions and they don't send any reminder
    SJD tends to delegate all work to their customers.
    SJD hide the fact that they are regulated accountancy company. Check the complaint procedure no third parties involved.
    AVOID IT.

Comment

Originally posted by metalthor View Post
      I have been using SJD accountancy services since 2014 until 2019. Disappointingly during this period, I have been exposed to a lack of professionalism, constructive changes and dishonest commercial relationship.
      SJD has reduced the level of services, charge for services that were included in the package.
      SJD has introduced penalties of 175 pounds for late self-assessments submissions and they don't send any reminder
      SJD hide the fact that they are regulated accountancy company. Check the complaint procedure no third parties involved.
      AVOID IT.
      Welcome to the world of faceless private equity investors. Imagine what it must be like working there. The only big winner was Mr Dolan who played an amazing hand over a spreadsheet, it seems to me.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by metalthor View Post
        AVOID IT.
        Nothing new there. We've threads going back many years saying the same. You've not mentioned the cost going up regularly and being quite expensive compared to the competition. Lack of Freeagent as well.

Just on that note. The bit about delegating to customers. I haven't been with SJD for 10 years but I was surprised when I swapped to FA that I was the one entering all the details in to FA. Some others have said the same and then questioned what the accountant actually does. They are cheaper for a start but it's much better managing your own FA as you are in more control. Just thought I'd mention that as you might find you'll do more of the work when you go FA.

That is if we are talking about the same day to day stuff.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Just on that note. The bit about delegating to customers. I haven't been with SJD for 10 years but I was surprised when I swapped to FA that I was the one entering all the details in to FA. Some others have said the same and then questioned what the accountant actually does. They are cheaper for a start but it's much better managing your own FA as you are in more control. Just thought I'd mention that as you might find you'll do more of the work when you go FA.

That is if we are talking about the same day to day stuff.
          Is there any significant difference entering into FA vs entering into the SJD XLS sheet?
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            Is there any significant difference entering into FA vs entering into the SJD XLS sheet?
            Hmm guess not. More buttons to press I guess. Consolidating it against bank statement is extra and the like. . I just felt it was more work when I initially started with FA but quickly the benefits. Wouldnt go back now.

SJD don't use the spreadsheet now do they?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Dunno about anyone else but I am with SJD and use the online portal.
              It updates automatically from my bank account but I have to (not unreasonably) allocate transactions.

They upload details of my payroll (except for when the automation seems to forget every now and then) and VAT (the same) and then I have to chase them up to remind them.

They are, like all accountants and lawyers I have ever used, expensive, slow and occasionally wrong.

I'd move but I can't be arsed and I am not even sure I will be doing this much longer the way Covid IR35 etc has conspired to provide a perfect storm of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                Dunno about anyone else but I am with SJD and use the online portal.
                It updates automatically from my bank account but I have to (not unreasonably) allocate transactions.

They upload details of my payroll (except for when the automation seems to forget every now and then) and VAT (the same) and then I have to chase them up to remind them.

They are, like all accountants and lawyers I have ever used, expensive, slow and occasionally wrong.

I'd move but I can't be arsed and I am not even sure I will be doing this much longer the way Covid IR35 etc has conspired to provide a perfect storm of crap.
                NorthernLad, you asked me on another thread why I am still with SJD. Here's your answer, beautifully written. The only thing I would add is that I have been with them for many years and simply haven't had the same problems others have had. And the extra cost was not that much of a problem when the warchest balance was going up.

Comment

New clients of theirs are put onto the online portal and existing ones can migrate. As the portal could not cope with multiple currencies (I have done business in Euros in last contract) I opted to stay on the spreadsheet - the spreadsheet can't cope with multiple currencies either so I worked out a way to frig it with my last but one accountant and now my current accountant complains at year end that she has to sort out the mess.

I had great service with my first accountant she even came and visited on on-site to help me get setup when I started up the Ltd Co in 2013, since then it has been "variable" as 3 other accountants have taken over and yes the cost has gone up, I just never had enough go wrong to make it worthwhile switching "better the devil you know..."

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                    As the portal could not cope with multiple currencies (I have done business in Euros in last contract)
                    I am currently billing in US Dollars - I just wait until an invoice gets paid before recording it in SJD then the Sterling amount is the value invoiced. This may or may not be the correct way of doing it (probably is not) but it's all I can be faffed with for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                      I am currently billing in US Dollars - I just wait until an invoice gets paid before recording it in SJD then the Sterling amount is the value invoiced. This may or may not be the correct way of doing it (probably is not) but it's all I can be faffed with for now.
                      I basically use the HMRC average monthly exchange rate and retain the formulae in the sheet with the conversion to sterling for all invoices, receipts (I have a EUR account) and expenses. At year end my accountant strips all the EUR transactions out into another spreadsheet and does her magic and then declares foreign currency losses in the accounts as she used the yearly HMRC rate.

Comment

Working...
                      X