• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 "mirroring" contract terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 "mirroring" contract terms

Just having a quick muse regarding IR35 - as I understand it one of the things to ensure IR35-friendliness of contracts involves mirroring of relevant terms between myLtdCo to Agency contract and the "upper-tier" Agency to ClientCo contract.

Given that the upper-tier contract is confidential between those parties, how am I/myLtdCo able to establish whether the terms are in fact mirrored or not?

(Apologies if this has been explained before - if it has then I need better forum searching expertise...)

Originally posted by CatOnMat View Post
    Just having a quick muse regarding IR35 - as I understand it one of the things to ensure IR35-friendliness of contracts involves mirroring of relevant terms between myLtdCo to Agency contract and the "upper-tier" Agency to ClientCo contract.

Given that the upper-tier contract is confidential between those parties, how am I/myLtdCo able to establish whether the terms are in fact mirrored or not?

(Apologies if this has been explained before - if it has then I need better forum searching expertise...)
    You can't. HTH.

Comment

You can't. Just make sure your house is in order. Get your contract check by a professional. Get a Confirmation of Arrangements from your client if possible and take out TLC35 from QDOS or IPSE+.. Or both if you are nervous.

All that should be enough to fight of an investigation before it gets to pulling upper tier contracts.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        All that should be enough to fight of an investigation before it gets to pulling upper tier contracts.
        I admire your optimism

Comment

You can't. Just make sure your house is in order. Get your contract check by a professional. Get a Confirmation of Arrangements from your client if possible and take out TLC35 from QDOS or IPSE+.. Or both if you are nervous.

Thanks NLUK - already done / doing all of the above!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            You can't. HTH.
            Thanks - I'm not actually that worried, just wondering whether there was something I'd missed!

Comment

I admire your optimism
              That and the list of 10 other contractors with no insurance that don't know what IR35 is.

Comment

That and the list of 10 other contractors with no insurance that don't know what IR35 is.
                You'd think, but anecdotal evidence is that they don't operate like that. When an investigation is opened, they won't necessarily close it quickly, even if you can show that a valid sub has occurred. Pulling the agency contract would be a preliminary step, I imagine, as they're going to care more about that than the lower contract; it has proven successful in the past. Bottom line, there's bugger all you can do, except your own due dil or avoid agencies altogether.

Comment

You'd think, but anecdotal evidence is that they don't operate like that. When an investigation is opened, they won't necessarily close it quickly, even if you can show that a valid sub has occurred. Pulling the agency contract would be a preliminary step, I imagine, as they're going to care more about that than the lower contract; it has proven successful in the past. Bottom line, there's bugger all you can do, except your own due dil or avoid agencies altogether.
                  Well that pissed on my bonfire.

Comment

I don't disagree however sadly for a lot of people I imagine this is quite hard or impossible to do...

Comment

Working...
                    X