• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of year accounts with new accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeagent

Originally posted by squidlet View Post
    I'll definitely take your advice and try FreeAgent.

Yes that makes sense, I'll do a bit of digging around and see what kind of information I can find. Thank you!
    Highly recommend FA, just about all our clients are on it. Many of the accountants on here (including ourselves) provide it as part of the package, and also have a demo account set up in case you'd like to try it out first.

Comment

I am sure one of the professionals will help, but if I am not mistaken there may be an opportunity to simplify things somewhat. HMRC have subsistence scale rates for Europe and indeed the rest of the world. I *think* if it helps you, that for each night working abroad you can apply the HMRC scale rates for overseas assignments. It may simplify things for you somewhat. I hope an accountant can confirm what I am saying is still true?
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        I am sure one of the professionals will help, but if I am not mistaken there may be an opportunity to simplify things somewhat. HMRC have subsistence scale rates for Europe and indeed the rest of the world. I *think* if it helps you, that for each night working abroad you can apply the HMRC scale rates for overseas assignments. It may simplify things for you somewhat. I hope an accountant can confirm what I am saying is still true?
        It is true but it also depends on the accommodation you live in while abroad. So if you can cook your own meals the rate is something like halved except on the days you travel back to the UK.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          It is true but it also depends on the accommodation you live in while abroad. So if you can cook your own meals the rate is something like halved except on the days you travel back to the UK.
          I was thinking one might stay in a B&B or an Air BnB or the like and claim the scale rate rather than actual expense. Simpler in many ways.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Yes I have seen the HMRC rates https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ence_rates.pdf.
            We mostly find accommodation on Airbnb and rent privately, and always cook our own meals so I am aware the rate won't be as high. I'll definitely have to check with the accountant to see if and what they've claimed in regards to this.

Comment

I’m finding the term “we” troubling in the comments. If you’re travelling with him and and part of the expense, this may well have an impact on the allowability of he expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by squidlet View Post
                Yes I have seen the HMRC rates https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ence_rates.pdf.
                We mostly find accommodation on Airbnb and rent privately, and always cook our own meals so I am aware the rate won't be as high. I'll definitely have to check with the accountant to see if and what they've claimed in regards to this.
                If you travel with him then approximately 50% of the expenses aren't allowed as a start though it could be higher than this.

This is why your accountant disregarded so much of your expenses.
                Last edited by SueEllen; 24 October 2017, 19:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                  I’m finding the term “we” troubling in the comments. If you’re travelling with him and and part of the expense, this may well have an impact on the allowability of he expenses.
                  Good spot. I asked the question about other issues in post 5 as this has 'information trickle feed' written all over it and guessed it would end up in a long convoluted thread while we extract all the relevant information. I didn't expect that though.

I'd guess if they rent in the UK and actually spend more time away from their temporary location than at it then the whole expenses thing becomes questionable? Each place would be come permanent just by arriving there as they have no permanent base to travel to a temporary one from ergo no expenses allowed at all?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    If you travel with him then approximately 50% of the expenses aren't allowed as a start though it could be higher than this.

This is why your accountant disregarded do much of your expenses.
                    And even his will a problem as he's staying weekends so duality of purpose or BiK or summat? At the very least 5/7ths.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      And even his will a problem as he's staying weekends so duality of purpose or BiK or summat? At the very least 5/7ths.
                      Not necessarily. The rules are different if you are abroad. You can stay some weekends and claim it but you need to show that where ever you live in that country is temporary.

The big thing here is:
                      1. the spouse/partner going everywhere with him, and,
                      2. the lack of permanent UK address which is illustrated by 1, and,
                      3. not paying taxes in the countries worked in.

I'm actually surprised no foreign taxman has chased and found them yet. For starters the taxman in the Nordic countries and Germany are very efficient in working out where you are so you don't screw with them.

Comment

Working...
                      X