• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of year accounts with new accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you travel with him then approximately 50% of the expenses aren't allowed as a start though it could be higher than this.

This is why your accountant disregarded so much of your expenses.
    Perhaps............. In my own experience that is likely a rather optimistic explanation, but not beyond the realms of possibility, naturally. For starters, if I had Mrs Bloggs following me around Europe, how would the accountant even know this? (Unless, of course you told them).
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Update: the accountants had in fact not even had a look at any business receipts and pretty much only taken into account business mileage, for reasons unknown to me as I made sure it was easy for them to go through everything. That would explain the confusion over the figures we were given.
      They're now working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by squidlet View Post
        Update: the accountants had in fact not even had a look at any business receipts and pretty much only taken into account business mileage, for reasons unknown to me as I made sure it was easy for them to go through everything. That would explain the confusion over the figures we were given.
        It's time you switched to FreeAgent. That way it is YOU who is in complete control of this stuff day by day and in real time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Perhaps............. In my own experience that is likely a rather optimistic explanation, but not beyond the realms of possibility, naturally. For starters, if I had Mrs Bloggs following me around Europe, how would the accountant even know this? (Unless, of course you told them).
          Yes, as I expected, that expectation was WAY to optimistic!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Some of the receipts would be for the two of you. Meals, flights etc. Surely the accountant should be spotting this and querying it. Same for the the fact they are in countries with a a different tax regime.

That said I'd guess the accountant isn't checking or querying very well and the OP has taken what they want to hear rather than head the warnings so they will get what they want even though there is a possibility it's not quite correct.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 25 October 2017, 06:35.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I say we because we work as a team but I keep my expenses separate from him and his business. He has his own residence and money in the UK, I have mine in France, none of my receipts or joint receipts end up in the business pile. The accountant knows about the situation, they're working on it.

I'm also doing as much research as I can on many topics discussed on this forum and consulting with some experienced people so I can hopefully have a better grasp on it all.

FreeAgent seems pretty good so far, unfortunately I won't be able to link the Euro account which is the main one I'm afraid because it's only a holding account. I don't know if it's a big issue, at least I can keep track of the other things.

Comment

I say we because we work as a team but I keep my expenses separate from him and his business. He has his own residence and money in the UK, I have mine in France, none of my receipts or joint receipts end up in the business pile. The accountant knows about the situation, they're working on it.

I'm also doing as much research as I can on many topics discussed on this forum and consulting with some experienced people so I can hopefully have a better grasp on it all.

FreeAgent seems pretty good so far, unfortunately I won't be able to link the Euro account which is the main one I'm afraid because it's only a holding account. I don't know if it's a big issue, at least I can keep track of the other things.
                Even if you can't oink to the account you can still do bulk uploads, or manual transaction input.
                The main advantage with Freeagent, or other bookkeeping software is you can keep it up to date yourself. No more shoeboxes stuffed with receipts that need a weeks work every year.

I note earlier that you've given the receipts to your accountant. Thus is not normally how it would be done. If you keep the books yourself, and stay on top of it then you'll know any answers before the accountant does. That way you're double checking his work and he's double checking yours. Far fewer mistakes that way IMO.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Even if you can't oink to the account you can still do bulk uploads, or manual transaction input.
                  I love oinking my account.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Okay thanks I'll do it manually in that case.

Yeah it's the first year end accounts I've sent and I realise I should have kept/sent copies.

I think everything is getting ironed out now anyway, thank you!

Comment

And you’re paying for this? Get out pronto. And as advised get involved with a freeagent accountant.

Comment

Working...
                      X