• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Borrowing to fund pension contributions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And if it doesn't?
    That's a risk only I can judge. I'm interested in the views of the experts here on the other risks.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Also borrowing is cheap, for probably another few months, then it's going to go up.
      People have been predicting the end of low interest rates for years. With Brexit they will probably go lower.

However, rather than putting money into your pension you should invest in property. Or if it has to be pension invest in bitcoin funds.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

However, rather than putting money into your pension you should invest in property. Or if it has to be pension invest in bitcoin funds.
        I'm inclined to agree, but expand on property for me - BTL for income generation in retirement? Or as an appreciating asset? Or commercial property (via a pension)?

Comment

Originally posted by Markie BII View Post
          I'm inclined to agree, but expand on property for me - BTL for income generation in retirement? Or as an appreciating asset? Or commercial property (via a pension)?
          For first 2 reasons. Commercial property will not do so well due to Brexit. IMO.

Comment

Open a SIPP and put 100 in it that way you will have a valid pension scheme in place. When you have more funds you can catch up the last 3 years so up to 120k in.

You will miss the potential gain on the fund but won't be taking the risk of tying your finances up and still be able to claim the tax relief on the contributions later on.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              For first 2 reasons. Commercial property will not do so well due to Brexit. IMO.
              It's not even Brexit.

Most companies are trying to get rid of or at least minimise property space e.g. offices, retail space due to the costs. The companies who want property want warehouse or factory space in the back of beyond.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                It's not even Brexit.

Most companies are trying to get rid of or at least minimise property space e.g. offices, retail space due to the costs. The companies who want property want warehouse or factory space in the back of beyond.
                I did once getting commercial property as part of a pension. It was 1% of an office block. The return was okay - not spectacular.

I think I made 8% a year. The unit was let at 8% a year(after fees). The worth of the unit went up 25% over 5 years. I never understood why I only got 8% a year......

Comment

Markets

It's thought that many of the world's stock markets are too highly valued at the moment. Because of record low interest rates and too much QE (government money printing) asset prices including stocks have been pushed up.

Some are saying Europe/Japan look OK and even the UK but basically piling loads of money in now may not be a great idea. Drip feed it in and keep some back for when markets drop if you're going for a SIPP.

Of course that's what most people are doing at the moment in 'the most hated bull market ever'.

Comment

Originally posted by MB2 View Post
                    Open a SIPP and put 100 in it that way you will have a valid pension scheme in place. When you have more funds you can catch up the last 3 years so up to 120k in.

You will miss the potential gain on the fund but won't be taking the risk of tying your finances up and still be able to claim the tax relief on the contributions later on.
                    This is good advice. At least open a SIPP now because you can only use allowances from that point.

Personally I'd be inclined to go for it if you've already got a rainy day fund and if you haven't already got a pension.

Another factor is that the chancellor is supposedly looking at targeting pension tax relief in the forthcoming budget. Personally I'm trying to put as much as I can in before he does that. It's the last thing we contractors have got after the dividend tax and flat VAT raids. I wish they'd just cut state spending rather than raise tax (especially on responsible things like saving).

Comment

Working...
                    X