• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC to stop accepting personal credit cards to pay tax from January 2018

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC to stop accepting personal credit cards to pay tax from January 2018

Time to do some planning and pre-pay that tax before January 13th...

HMRC to stop personal credit card payments in January
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

What does your accountant say?

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post
      What does your accountant say?
      He's the one that told me. Made a good number of flight and hotel points on this so pretty disappointed with the decision.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 30 October 2017, 10:52.

Comment

Haven't read the link but I'm guessing this has something to do with businesses no longer being able to pass on credit card fees?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          Haven't read the link but I'm guessing this has something to do with businesses no longer being able to pass on credit card fees?
          Correct

It will become illegal to surcharge credit card payments from January. Companies will have to decide whether to stop accepting credit cards altogether or to absorb the costs. With interchange fees now capped at 0.3% under EU law on personal cards, it should not make much of a difference to retailers.

(That is the theory. In reality, card processors appear to have got around the 0.3% cap on interchange fees by inventing new additional charges for retailers.)

HMRC has decided to take the first option.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            He's the one that told me. Made a good number of flight and hotel points on this so pretty disappointed with the decision.
            Prepay before then and you'll still get your points.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Prepay before then and you'll still get your points.
              Correct. I've a feeling VAT won't hold it for long before refunding it so may not work. Worth a punt even if they do though.

Comment

Tesco debit debt card allows you to earn clubcard points / avios for tax payments

Bits: HMRC miles alternative?, Groupon / Avios deal back, ‘Credit Card Reviews’ returns

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                  Tesco debit debt card allows you to earn clubcard points / avios for tax payments

Bits: HMRC miles alternative?, Groupon / Avios deal back, ‘Credit Card Reviews’ returns
                  Good spot. Paying VAT and CT in a year works out at about 13k Virgin points just for using the card. Not too shabby.

Avios points tick me right off. Never really got my head around them. Got a load of them but using them on flights always means a connecting flight to Heathrow so bit of a waste of time. Need to look in to the other offers at some point. They just strike me as a bit rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post

Win, already have a Tesco current account (for the 3% interest on £3k or whatever it was). Curious about how early I can pay my VAT and not have it refunded though.

Comment

Working...
                    X