Accounting & Pay for 1 week in the tax year Accounting & Pay for 1 week in the tax year
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6

    Default Accounting & Pay for 1 week in the tax year

    Hi, In the tax year of 2016/17 I only worked the final week of the year, (last week in April).

    My invoice for the year was 2,750+550 VAT= 3,300 in total.

    I am on the flat rate scheme @ 14%, what’s the treatment to get the maximum. Appreciate if someone could provide a breakdown. I have an accountant but as they were not with me during that period they want to charge me to provide that information.

  2. #2

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fwd View Post
    Hi, In the tax year of 2016/17 I only worked the final week of the year, (last week in April).

    My invoice for the year was 2,750+550 VAT= 3,300 in total.

    I am on the flat rate scheme @ 14%, what’s the treatment to get the maximum. Appreciate if someone could provide a breakdown. I have an accountant but as they were not with me during that period they want to charge me to provide that information.
    The last week in April is in this tax year, not last. The tax year runs to the 5th of April. If your work and invoice were after that, then they are in the current tax year.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  3. #3

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    The last week in April is in this tax year, not last. The tax year runs to the 5th of April. If your work and invoice were after that, then they are in the current tax year.
    My mistake, I worked the last week in March.

  4. #4

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fwd View Post
    I was on the flat rate scheme @ 14.5%
    FTFY, guessing you're now just a "limited cost trader"

  5. #5

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fwd View Post
    My mistake, I worked the last week in March.
    Who was your accountant for the previous year?
    I notice in another thread you were trying to do everything on your own.
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...christmas.html

    Have you now got an accountant or are you still trying to do it yourself?
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    FTFY, guessing you're now just a "limited cost trader"
    yes

  7. #7

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Who was your accountant for the previous year?
    I notice in another thread you were trying to do everything on your own.
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...christmas.html

    Have you now got an accountant or are you still trying to do it yourself?
    As stated, I have an accountant now.
    Appreciate if you can help if not can you please stop with the inquisition.

  8. #8

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fwd View Post
    I have an accountant but as they were not with me during that period they want to charge me to provide that information.
    I'd be having words then. He might not have been engaged at that point but surely it's very little skin of his nose to help you out surely? If it is a complex question that's going to take time and cost then we are certainly not best placed to help.

    I've yet to have an accountant that wouldn't answer a simple question about something unrelated to the business year I'm in.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  9. #9

    Double Godlike!

    stek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East of Eden
    Posts
    11,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fwd View Post
    As stated, I have an accountant now.
    Appreciate if you can help if not can you please stop with the inquisition.
    I certainly didnt expect an inquisition. Is your accountant Spanish?

    What are his chief weapons?

  10. #10

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fwd View Post
    As stated, I have an accountant now.
    Appreciate if you can help if not can you please stop with the inquisition.
    Are they a he or a she?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •