• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QDOS IR35 Insurance query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tvr450 View Post
    I was hoping they would analyse where the mistake was - me or HMRC and then advise me to pay the tax if owed and send HMRC a letter saying what we had done.
    I'm still new to this, but that seems to be what my accountant is doing for me right now for my SA.. i.e. make sure there are no mistakes and advising me on how much tax I need to pay.

Comment

I was hoping they would analyse where the mistake was - me or HMRC and then advise me to pay the tax if owed and send HMRC a letter saying what we had done.

I've contacted my accountant now.
      So QDOS was not your accountant? More fool you......

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        maybe a change in title to reflect the actual situation then?
        breaking news: Qdos ir35 insurance doesn't do what is not said on the tin!
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I don't know the exact wording of the QDOS policy, but most similar policies are clear in what they do and don't cover.

What they have in common are that they don't cover basic preparation of tax returns and other "compliance" issues. They're there to deal with disputes, arguments, and differences in treatment etc.

I don't think many (if any) will cover for what sounds like simple mistakes in data input, which also sound to be easily rectified by telling HMRC the right figure and in this case, it doesn't sound as if there is any dispute or argument, just the fact that the taxpayer hasn't put the right number in the right box.

Comment

I recently received a letter from HMRC about a couple of small mistakes on my SA.

I put in a claim on my QDOS TLC35 policy in order to have some help in responding.

They refused the claim saying I had made a similar mistake in the past and I should have known better. There was no route to appeal.

Not sure the insurance is worth taking out if they refuse to honour it.

I'll be taking IPSE+ next time!
            Hi tvr450

I appreciate it can be frustrating when your claim is rejected.

Unfortunately, cases where the policyholder has made a repetitive error are not covered and I would be very surprised if any insurer would accept such a claim. This is stated in exemption clause 2 of the policy wording which can be found here:
            "2. Where any circumstances of a claim are known of at the inception of this Policy or the time a policyholder was declared for inclusion under this Policy about which the policyholder or appointed consultant knew or ought reasonably to have known was likely to give rise to a claim under this policy"

If you have made a similar mistake in the past, we would deem this as "ought reasonably to have known".

If you have any complaint to the handling of your claim or would like to dispute the result of any claim, please raise it with us directly at [email protected]. We can only provide limited advice and response on a public forum.

The majority of TLC claims are successful.

Thanks
            Gemma
            Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Fair play to QDOS for replying on here. Seems fair to me. If you cock up your SA one year then end up doing yourself again next year and doing the same thing seems a bit silly.

Always found QDOS to be very helpful and one of the best companies out there to be honest....

OP - So doesn't your accountant include SA as part of the service? If it was me, and I'd screwed up one year, then I'd be paying next year if I had to do to make sure it was right.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Fair play to QDOS for replying on here. Seems fair to me. If you cock up your SA one year then end up doing yourself again next year and doing the same thing seems a bit silly.

Always found QDOS to be very helpful and one of the best companies out there to be honest....

OP - So doesn't your accountant include SA as part of the service? If it was me, and I'd screwed up one year, then I'd be paying next year if I had to do to make sure it was right.
                Especially with HMRC. You don't mess with them!

Maybe the OP was distracted applying for JSA?

Comment

Raising your head above the HMRC parapet for the sake of a Self-Assessment Tax Return fee. Please learn your lesson!

Comment

I never make the same mistake twice. I make it several times to be sure.

Does anyone provide insurance against me making a cretinous post? I have only done so 97,722 times....

Comment

Working...
                    X