• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract renewal

Good morning,

I a renewing my contract. First period was 6 months, second was 1 year. I am now renewing for one extra year.
    I have a project I am working on.
    Should I change the name on the project or my renewal to stay outside IR35 ?

Thanks

Originally posted by Maggy View Post
    Good morning,

I a renewing my contract. First period was 6 months, second was 1 year. I am now renewing for one extra year.
    I have a project I am working on.
    Should I change the name on the project or my renewal to stay outside IR35 ?

Thanks
    How much do you know about IR35? I'd say not that much looking at that question. I'd suggest you read the guides to the right and if you have any detailed questions have a search on here. It's almost certainly been asked before. IR35 is not a tick box exercise. You have to understand what you are doing and why. If you think just changing the name on a project is enough to be safe from IR35 you are just wasting your time.

To search the forum go to google and type <Search term> site:forums.contractor.uk

Your question is so generic we cannot hope to answer it all in a thread. It's up to you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also remember this extension takes you over the 24 months at a client so you can't claim any expenses from the date you sign the renewal. You could argue it should be from the date you knew you were going to get renewed but not getting in to all that.

No more T&S expenses now.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks you for your reply. My contract is IR35 compliant and so are my working practice.
        It is true that I don't know much about IR35 but I took legal advises and eveythingis fine.

I am just wandering if I need to change the name of my project when renewing.

I work from home some I don't use T&S expenses. However, I guess it is still fine to deduct expenses when I go to my client's premises once every one or 2 months.

Thanks,

Comment

Are you working on a new project?

Comment

Thanks you for your reply. My contract is IR35 compliant and so are my working practice.
            It is true that I don't know much about IR35 but I took legal advises and eveythingis fine.

I work from home some I don't use T&S expenses. However, I guess it is still fine to deduct expenses when I go to my client's premises once every one or 2 months.

Thanks,
            I presume that the deliverables have changed after 18 months? If so, get these reflected in your new contract. If the project name is the same, it has to stay the same; changing it on paper won't look good if it's not changed irl.

The occasional travel is still claimable.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
            X