• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking advantage of 20% tax relief and pensions for working pensioners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking advantage of 20% tax relief and pensions for working pensioners

Say you're over retirement age and have pension pots that are just sitting there and aren't required for income. Could one take the 20% tax free and put it back into a new pension pot attracting the 20% tax relief adding to it. Wait a while and do the same. Would this be a good way to improve wealth growth or am I missing something?

It is to good to be true

Government slam brakes on 'pension recycling' in Autumn Statement | This is Money

Also https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-your-priva...nual-allowance

Comment

Yes you can with limits. But there are many recycling rules which will restrict relief in many cases.

It depends on many things. An intro here.

https://adviser.royallondon.com/tech...tax-free-cash/

Comment

Out of curiosity what benefit would you get by doing so?

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
          Out of curiosity what benefit would you get by doing so?
          Tax relief on the same money more than once.

E.g. pay 8000 into pension. 2k tax relief added. 10k in it. Take 2.5 lump sum. 7.5k in it. Put the 2.5k back in, 625 tax relief added. The extra 625 added magis it up to 10625.

Once a pension has had cash paid then you get restricted to 4k contributions.

It is something i need to be careful of in my situation. I receive half salary through a employer phi policy and very nearly 4k in pension contributions in addition (both corporate and personal).

I also have a pension which i will take when i am 60. Mainly due to various conditions and a high guarented annuity rate.

Whilst it is not recycling in the same money I need to be careful to make sure i dont lose relief on the contributions still being made going forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
            It is to good to be true
            too
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I know that if you take any money from a pension that's taxable your allowance goes from £40K to £4K but I'm thinking of only recycling the 20% tax free. Once its out I can do whatever with it including using it in lieu of income and putting the income into a new pension.

Comment

Obviously one of the things to do just before retirement of course is to ensure you've maxed out your pension contributions for the tax year and back dated it for maximum tax relief. under carry forward rules.

https://www.adviserzone.com/adviser/...ancecalculator

So just before you go for it, pay in £160k, which should only cost you £128k + 32K at basic tax relief taking a last minute bonus.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                X