Expense claim at different/temporary client site Expense claim at different/temporary client site - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Interesting as I have 2 sites. I can work at either. When I get to 2 years(if I do) I might look at this again.

    How far geographically do they have to be apart? They are 12 miles apart....

    And yes I will ask QDOS before I do anything....
    if you live between(ish) the two sites and spend 2 days a week at each, and one day at home then you can claim forever.
    See You Next Tuesday

  2. #12

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near London, UK
    Posts
    4,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Interesting as I have 2 sites. I can work at either. When I get to 2 years(if I do) I might look at this again.

    How far geographically do they have to be apart? They are 12 miles apart....

    And yes I will ask QDOS before I do anything....
    How do you split your time between them?

    If you don’t spend more than 40% of your time at either then neither is subject to the 24 month limit. The 24 month rule will apply to either site independently of the other if you spend more than 40% of time there.

    Ideally in this situation you’d want to try and spend 20% working from home and split your time at each site evenly.

  3. #13

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near London, UK
    Posts
    4,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Isn't it to do with how far that 12 miles forms as part of the overall trip? For example if you're commuting from London -> Edinburgh then move to London->Edinburgh+12 you can't as the workplace hasn't demonstrably changed.
    Whilst I agree the common sense approach is that the further you travel to one site, the further you’d need to travel to the second site for it to be a significantly different location - there isn’t a black and white answer. It’s down to you to demonstrate if queries why you think it’s a significant change in location from one site to another.

  4. #14

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    They meet the definition of temporary workplace so yes. You can claim travel expenses between home and the alternative site and between the (now permanent) and temporary sites.

    Are you also going to be recharging the additional travel costs? I would.
    Thanks for your response

    Yes the client is paying to my Co, but my query was more about whether I can claim from my Co, without incurring additional BIK.

  5. #15

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    100,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    if you live between(ish) the two sites and spend 2 days a week at each, and one day at home then you can claim forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    How do you split your time between them?

    If you don’t spend more than 40% of your time at either then neither is subject to the 24 month limit. The 24 month rule will apply to either site independently of the other if you spend more than 40% of time there.

    Ideally in this situation you’d want to try and spend 20% working from home and split your time at each site evenly.
    This is very interesting!

    So I can work at home, at site 1 or site 2. When I am there I can work for client 1 or client 2.

    Though it is ALOT easier working at client 1 from site 1 and client 2 from site 2. Except for people walking up and asking questions - though I consider that a happy problem....

  6. #16

    More time posting than coding

    Major Hassle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In Hope
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Sigh 2 pages, this was answered in the first response

    As long as you don’t spend 40% or more of your time at any location then you can claim expenses when over 24 Months
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

    As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

  7. #17

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near London, UK
    Posts
    4,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Hassle View Post
    Sigh 2 pages, this was answered in the first response

    As long as you don’t spend 40% or more of your time at any location then you can claim expenses when over 24 Months
    OP hasn’t spent more than 24 months at either of the other sites anyway.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •