• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expense claim at different/temporary client site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Interesting as I have 2 sites. I can work at either. When I get to 2 years(if I do) I might look at this again.

How far geographically do they have to be apart? They are 12 miles apart....

And yes I will ask QDOS before I do anything....
    if you live between(ish) the two sites and spend 2 days a week at each, and one day at home then you can claim forever.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Interesting as I have 2 sites. I can work at either. When I get to 2 years(if I do) I might look at this again.

How far geographically do they have to be apart? They are 12 miles apart....

And yes I will ask QDOS before I do anything....
      How do you split your time between them?

If you don’t spend more than 40% of your time at either then neither is subject to the 24 month limit. The 24 month rule will apply to either site independently of the other if you spend more than 40% of time there.

Ideally in this situation you’d want to try and spend 20% working from home and split your time at each site evenly.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        Isn't it to do with how far that 12 miles forms as part of the overall trip? For example if you're commuting from London -> Edinburgh then move to London->Edinburgh+12 you can't as the workplace hasn't demonstrably changed.
        Whilst I agree the common sense approach is that the further you travel to one site, the further you’d need to travel to the second site for it to be a significantly different location - there isn’t a black and white answer. It’s down to you to demonstrate if queries why you think it’s a significant change in location from one site to another.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          They meet the definition of temporary workplace so yes. You can claim travel expenses between home and the alternative site and between the (now permanent) and temporary sites.

Are you also going to be recharging the additional travel costs? I would.
          Thanks for your response

Yes the client is paying to my Co, but my query was more about whether I can claim from my Co, without incurring additional BIK.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            if you live between(ish) the two sites and spend 2 days a week at each, and one day at home then you can claim forever.
            Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            How do you split your time between them?

If you don’t spend more than 40% of your time at either then neither is subject to the 24 month limit. The 24 month rule will apply to either site independently of the other if you spend more than 40% of time there.

Ideally in this situation you’d want to try and spend 20% working from home and split your time at each site evenly.
            This is very interesting!

So I can work at home, at site 1 or site 2. When I am there I can work for client 1 or client 2.

Though it is ALOT easier working at client 1 from site 1 and client 2 from site 2. Except for people walking up and asking questions - though I consider that a happy problem....

Comment

Sigh 2 pages, this was answered in the first response

As long as you don’t spend 40% or more of your time at any location then you can claim expenses when over 24 Months
              "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
                Sigh 2 pages, this was answered in the first response

As long as you don’t spend 40% or more of your time at any location then you can claim expenses when over 24 Months
                OP hasn’t spent more than 24 months at either of the other sites anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X