• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expense claim at different/temporary client site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expense claim at different/temporary client site

I have been fortunate enough to have my current contract run over the 24 months. So I cannot claim expenses when I travel to my client base location of Manchester.

However occasionally I have to travel to other client site in Newcastle and Birmingham lasting a few days to weeks. I'm incurring travel and hotel expenses when staying in Newcastle and Birmingham. Since these locations are temporary places of work can I claim out of pocket expenses?

Many Thanks

Sam.

Originally posted by sapsam View Post
    I have been fortunate enough to have my current contract run over the 24 months. So I cannot claim expenses when I travel to my client base location of Manchester.

However occasionally I have to travel to other client site in Newcastle and Birmingham lasting a few days to weeks. I'm incurring travel and hotel expenses when staying in Newcastle and Birmingham. Since these locations are temporary places of work can I claim out of pocket expenses?

Many Thanks

Sam.
    As long as you don’t spend 40% or more of your time at any location then you can claim expenses when over 24 Months
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

But to answer the question, yes.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

This exact scenario is one of the HMRC examples I believem
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sapsam View Post

Many Thanks

Sam.
          The simple answer to this - and what I do now - is to get them to pay the expenses.

Comment

They meet the definition of temporary workplace so yes. You can claim travel expenses between home and the alternative site and between the (now permanent) and temporary sites.

Are you also going to be recharging the additional travel costs? I would.

Comment

Interesting as I have 2 sites. I can work at either. When I get to 2 years(if I do) I might look at this again.

How far geographically do they have to be apart? They are 12 miles apart....

And yes I will ask QDOS before I do anything....

Comment

Isn't it to do with how far that 12 miles forms as part of the overall trip? For example if you're commuting from London -> Edinburgh then move to London->Edinburgh+12 you can't as the workplace hasn't demonstrably changed.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                  Isn't it to do with how far that 12 miles forms as part of the overall trip? For example if you're commuting from London -> Edinburgh then move to London->Edinburgh+12 you can't as the workplace hasn't demonstrably changed.
                  Good point!

So I live in North Wales. Commute to sidcup Friday/Sunday via train or car. Commute from sidcup to city or Wimbledon daily. Some days I have to switch offices during the day.

Its 6 months so far - bet I don't get to 2 years....

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                    The simple answer to this - and what I do now - is to get them to pay the expenses.
                    Getting the client to pay for visits to other sites is more than reasonable. I've never had a client refuse that.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X