• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solicitor recommendation, divorce

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solicitor recommendation, divorce

Hi
    I need to find a solicitor that understands it contracting and help me reach an appropriate financial settlement that recognises my dividend income to be fair but without overcommitting me in periods of unemployment.
    Has anyone a recommendation or any advice?
    Many thanks in advance
    L

I can’t give any recommendation. But any good divorce lawyer will have lots of experience with contractors so just concentrate on a good one.

Assume you’ve got kids otherwise ongoing cost wouldn’t be an issue. Just do right by them.

Others here will be able to give proper advice based on experience.

Comment

Where to begin! Gosh you really are in for a shock. You remind me of https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...house-property .

Anyway - you need to provide lots of information. Most importantly, do you have children?

How long have you been married? Does she work? Was there a pre-nup? What assets are there? Are you male or female?

Personally I did ancilliary relief myself. However it is virtually impossible without a solicitor. The slightest bad move can really screw up the rest of your life. I got some special clauses put in that have really helped and most solicitors don't do.

In general the more you pay the better you get.

Also, in general, when getting divorced divide the assets in half. Give half to the solicitors and fight over the rest. A bit like calling the fire brigade when your house is on fire, and they turn up and pour napalm on it.

You would be far better off saving the marriage if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by lmhill View Post
        Hi
        I need to find a solicitor that understands it contracting and help me reach an appropriate financial settlement that recognises my dividend income to be fair but without overcommitting me in periods of unemployment.
        Has anyone a recommendation or any advice?
        Many thanks in advance
        L
        I am going through this process and have just submitted initial petition form - my solicitor is a family law registered solicitor and so can cover all areas, including ltd considerations. However you should also speak to your accountant if you haven't done already to cover off the financial aspects. We are also going through financial mediation (first session this week) and I have made sure that the mediator is aware of ltd company workings etc.

Happy to share notes with you as this process proceeds (PM me if you want to).

Comment

just ask

your partner what they thinks is fair, If it even sounds remotely fair - BITE HER HAND OFF, Agree and do a quickie divorce - job done

otherwise you will end up with 20% of what you have now (80% split between lawyers and partner) and you paying for holidays for her and her new fancy-man as he drives round in your car.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
            your partner what they thinks is fair, If it even sounds remotely fair - BITE HER HAND OFF, Agree and do a quickie divorce - job done

otherwise you will end up with 20% of what you have now (80% split between lawyers and partner) and you paying for holidays for her and her new fancy-man as he drives round in your car.
            Especially if it is a clean break. Even 1p a year can be dangerous.

If the new fancy man just drives round in the car its not so bad. I have heard FAR worse involving children.

Comment

Working...
            X