• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outside of IR35 so I should opt out ? or I shouldn't ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't care. Don't start a gig without a signed contract.

thanks for your "invaluable contribution"

Comment

Originally posted by aeroeng View Post
      thanks for your "invaluable contribution"
      Believe me. It's good advice.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It certainly is good advice. Once you have started a contract, the contractor has given away any bargaining power he/she may have had. What makes you think the agency will make changes now?

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
          It certainly is good advice. Once you have started a contract, the contractor has given away any bargaining power he/she may have had. What makes you think the agency will make changes now?
          worse than that. They (agency) can refuse to pay for the work done before the contract is signed without breaching the contract once it is signed.

And no insurance.

Probably ruin IR35 as well. How can you claim to be delivering services against a contract when you've started work without agreeing what you'll do. Smells like MOO and SDC.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            worse than that. They (agency) can refuse to pay for the work done before the contract is signed without breaching the contract once it is signed.

And no insurance.

Probably ruin IR35 as well. How can you claim to be delivering services against a contract when you've started work without agreeing what you'll do. Smells like MOO and SDC.
            My documents are issued according to my start date, client agreed with the agency on my start date, also my line manager confirm my times and approve it. Also How can it ruin IR35 ?

Comment

What bargaining power? I can opt out now without any worry because I already met with the client, and one of the criteria of opting out to do further experience and skills check before starting.

Comment

I read the contract before hand btw. I ddnt go to job clueless. I have been told the contract they sent me is the real contract they make with contractors. they will just add my details on it

Comment

Originally posted by aeroeng View Post
                  What bargaining power? I can opt out now without any worry because I already met with the client, and one of the criteria of opting out to do further experience and skills check before starting.
                  No you can't. You cannot opt out once you've been introduced to the client.

Now that you have started, there is next to no chance of any clauses being renegotiated to suit you - that's why you have no bargaining power any more.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have a feeling the OP still won't want to listen.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Anyway so I will give some updates, which sounds interesting.

I filled the compliance forum and ticket opt in. Right after my agency tried to contact me, then they sent an email saying their manager want to speak with me " So I told him to call me after i finish work. He told me "they were surprised that I didn't opt out the conduct of employment agency, which many limited company directors opt out". I asked him why would I ? would it cause any problem? he told me well it is a grey area, not black, neither white, so difficult to say if it can give any trouble to me. Then I said well I did some research and consulted contractors, and found out that most of the don't opt out. He said, oh really? I didn't know that, I can't understand why they don't opt out. I asked him if he has seen any case putting contractors in danger who opted in? he said there hasn't been. But he kept telling me I might me giving wrong message to hmrc, and can get a wrong Tax number because I will be treated as a employee...etc etc. he said he will get a legal advice and call me tomorrow.
                      They simply want me to opt out.

Comment

Working...
                      X