• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Former agent refusing to pay final invoice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former agent refusing to pay final invoice

Hello,

I have read the forums a fair bit and have a decent understanding of the relevant issues but still feel there are enough unique specifics to my case to raise my own thread. My apologies in advance if I've missed anything similar. Also, I'm aware that if this goes much further I'll have to get some proper legal advice... any recommendations of reliable solicitors would be appreciated.

So, I've been contracted to a client through an agency for 3 years (an initial contract and a number of renewals). All of the contracts I've signed say I'm opted-out (and have a 6 month non-solicitation clause that only applies if opted-out) but I never signed any documentation (as either the LTD or the contractor) to say I opted-out. The contract was signed after the introduction but before the supply.

After my last renewal (June 2017) I informed the client that it would likely be my last renewal as I felt I was becoming too ingrained into their business and I couldn't allow this to continue (due to IR35 risk). This led to a new venture between myself and their Head of Systems where we would form a new company taking over the responsibility for all of the client's systems development, selling services back to the client, initially the two of us but eventually recruiting our own staff. Previously I was in the role of developer and whilst I now still do some development, my time is also taken up a lot more by management of the development process. Our services are sold back to the client collectively, so we simply charge them for total hours of "systems specification, development and support", rather than having individual roles at a day rate.

We launched this venture in December 2017, at the same time as my contract through the agency expired. The client asked me to leave communication with the agent to them and assured me there wouldn't be any problems. They didn't actually get round to informing the agent of what was happening until the beginning of January 2018 however. At this time he still hadn't paid my final month's invoice (due to delays from the client).

I had assumed that there would be some sort of quarantine period and transfer fee to be paid by the client to the agency (as did the agent). It transpires though that whilst there had originally been a transfer fee in the original contract, the agent had signed away the right in subsequent renewals (as the client refuse to pay transfer fees after a contractor has been with them for what they class a reasonable period of time). Therefore the client aren't planning to pay the agent a penny.

Then last Friday the agent gets in touch with me, accusing me of breaching my contract and stating that he is trying to get a transfer fee of 6 months of money out of the client but if he fails to get it from them he expects it from me. He also states that he's holding back the payment of my final invoice as a downpayment against the amount he alleges I owe.

The agent has had multiple contracts with the client over the years but the final one finished last Friday so now he has no contractors with the client. The client are backing me 100% and have agreed to take no further contractors from the agency and in addition have decided to hold back the final unpaid invoice amounts for the other contractor through that agent until the issue is resolved.

As I see it whilst there is a clause in my contract to prevent me engaging with the client separately (despite the flakey opt-out) there is no actual financial loss to the agent as my new relationship with the client is substantially different from that I had before and it would not have been offered to the agent to recruit for. On top of that I would not have continued in my old role past the end of the contract.

On top of that, I hardly see that he can contractually agree with the client to allow me to transfer without a fee and then trying to pass a fee onto me. Surely he has breached his contract with the client by attempting to extract money from me for the transfer?

Sorry for the rambling post and thanks in advance for any useful replies!

Take legal advice - if you're an IPSE member then ring their legal advice line (number is on your membership dashboard).

The agent hasn't got a leg to stand on, and by withholding monies that are legally due to your company is in breach of contract - even if they intend to sue to get the six months notice (which isn't in your contract any more?) then they still have to pay what is owed and then sue to get the difference. They aren't allowed to just hold onto your money.

Have a look at The Late Payment of Commercial Debts Regulations 2013 - Pay on Time for how to chase for the debt, and how to add money onto the invoice for the last payment. You might need to get a solicitor to send them a letter before action (shouldn't be too much), or if you want to go further than that skip the letter and just get onto the small claims court (link) to chase the bad debt.

I wouldn't mention the opt out until you have to but from what you say, you didn't opt out properly so they have to pay you the money that they owe you. Once it becomes late (I'm not clear whether it's late or not), chase and add interest and penalties.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The agent has to prove some kind of loss for the handcuff to stand. As they have no further business with the client he hasn't lost anything so I'd say his handcuff isn't fair and therefore won't stand. They'll bluff and bluster a bit but they won't take it any further.

Do as TF says and eventually, when they know their threats and bullying isn't going to work, they'll fold. It's just a who blinks first phase at the moment.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have you searched on here to see if the agent gets a mention in any other threads?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Have you searched on here to see if the agent gets a mention in any other threads?
          He's dodgy and he's an agent......
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tommy5dollar View Post
            ...He also states that he's holding back the payment of my final invoice as a downpayment against the amount he alleges I owe.
            Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            The agent hasn't got a leg to stand on, and by withholding monies that are legally due to your company is in breach of contract - even if they intend to sue to get the six months notice (which isn't in your contract any more?) then they still have to pay what is owed and then sue to get the difference. They aren't allowed to just hold onto your money.
            Exactly. People often think they can offset one against the other, but each putative debt is a separate item.

As soon as the invoice is 30 days late, start the following process (this alongside dealing with the agent stupidly trying to enforce a transfer fee).

1. Send a reminder that the invoice is overdue, requesting payment within 7 days, and asking them to contact you if there is difficulty paying.
            2. If this isn't paid after 7 days, send another reminder as the first, but adding on the admin fee and interest from when the debt first became overdue.
            3. If this isn't paid after 7 days, send another reminder as with 2 - keep adding interest.
            4. If this isn't paid after 7 days, send a final reminder, requesting payment with 7 days. Say it is the final reminder and if the debt is not settled, there will be no further opportunities to pay, and you will take legal action.
            5. Still no payment? Start the small claims procedure if the debt isn't too large; if it is contact a solicitor and work with him.

All the above is so that when it reaches court, you've demonstrated that you've given opportunity and time to pay, and been very fair. Keep any correspondance relating to the debt, but my advice would be to not addess any issues raised (aka "muddying the water") - just keep requesting the money he owes you.

I had to do this once with 2 unpaid invoices. At point 4 (with copies of the letters going to the directors' home addresses), they coughed up.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Sounds like the agent is just trying it on.

I'd have no further verbal communication, just reminder letters as others have described.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I had a feeling he didn't have a leg to stand on but it's nice to have it confirmed!

The unpaid invoice was issued on 1st December and became due on 30th December, so it'll be 30 days overdue next week.

The agent is an individual with his own company, so he's not been mentioned before, although I'll happily name and shame once the dust has settled. It's possible he's coming from a position of ignorance about what he's entitled to as much as trying his luck so I'm attempting to keep it cordial and explain why he's in the wrong. Should I avoid doing this and keep it strictly legal?

I'll give IPSE's legal hotline a ring in a bit. In the meantime does anyone have any links to the legislation (or any good explanatory pieces) on how you can't offset putative debt against sums you legally owe? I tried a quick Google but I obviously didn't search for the right thing.

Thanks again for your help so far!

Comment

Originally posted by tommy5dollar View Post
                  Thanks for the responses, everyone. I had a feeling he didn't have a leg to stand on but it's nice to have it confirmed!

The unpaid invoice was issued on 1st December and became due on 30th December, so it'll be 30 days overdue next week.

The agent is an individual with his own company, so he's not been mentioned before, although I'll happily name and shame once the dust has settled. It's possible he's coming from a position of ignorance about what he's entitled to as much as trying his luck so I'm attempting to keep it cordial and explain why he's in the wrong. Should I avoid doing this and keep it strictly legal?

I'll give IPSE's legal hotline a ring in a bit. In the meantime does anyone have any links to the legislation (or any good explanatory pieces) on how you can't offset putative debt against sums you legally owe? I tried a quick Google but I obviously didn't search for the right thing.

Thanks again for your help so far!
                  You can Google (or ask your accountant) about bad debts provision in the accounts and treatment of bad debts.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    You can Google (or ask your accountant) about bad debts provision in the accounts and treatment of bad debts.
                    Thanks for the response but maybe I wasn't clear (or perhaps I haven't understood your response properly). I'm not looking for how to write down bad debt, I intend to fully collect the debt.

I'm instead looking for the law (or an explainer on the law) that means that a company can't withhold payment they owe you because they want to sue you for a separate amount of money.

Comment

Working...
                    X