• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freeagent HSBC Feed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeagent HSBC Feed

Is it me or is this broken almost as often as it's working? It's one of the main feature draws for me or, in other words, doing bank recs was one of the worst bits of the SJD spreadsheet. I know we have a few people close to them - anyone know what the crack is?

The Santander link broke for me around the 13th of Jan for a week or so and just started working again. Dunno if it was everyone or just me. It does seem to happen from time to time but not with any frequency it's a botherance.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Is it me or is this broken almost as often as it's working? It's one of the main feature draws for me or, in other words, doing bank recs was one of the worst bits of the SJD spreadsheet. I know we have a few people close to them - anyone know what the crack is?
      I switched it off for Gnat West as it was tulip. Manual uploads are soooooo much easier than the SJD nonsense. Only takes a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        The Santander link broke for me around the 13th of Jan for a week or so and just started working again. Dunno if it was everyone or just me. It does seem to happen from time to time but not with any frequency it's a botherance.
        I'd say, literally, almost every other time I come to use it it has a "Problems Reported" notice under the bank feed.

Comment

MVL Online banks with HSBC, and I just do manual statement download then upload. Doesn't take long.

For me it wasn't to do with the feed breaking, but with two factor authentication I just found it too painful to be worth bothering with.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
            MVL Online banks with HSBC, and I just do manual statement download then upload. Doesn't take long.

For me it wasn't to do with the feed breaking, but with two factor authentication I just found it too painful to be worth bothering with.
            Sod it, suspect you guys are right - I'm goign to start importing. Only thing I worry about there is duplicates - fell for that with the Credit Card (where it's much harder to see a clear balance, to be fair)

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Sod it, suspect you guys are right - I'm goign to start importing. Only thing I worry about there is duplicates - fell for that with the Credit Card (where it's much harder to see a clear balance, to be fair)
              For credit card I'd recommend just doing the monthly statement. To my mind it's not as important that's updated frequently (eg knowing whether/when a customer has paid) as the main current account.

For the current account, yeah take a bit of care. Partly when switching from feed to upload, but also which part of HSBC you get it from. They have the "recent transactions" section, and the "statements" section. It seems the narrative that comes with the transaction download is very slightly different for each, sufficiently so that FreeAgent won't spot a duplicate. I'd therefore suggest:
              - if you'll be doing it often (eg at least weekly), just use the recent transactions section.
              - if you'll be doing it less frequently (eg monthly), just use the statements section.
              If you consistently use the same type, FreeAgent should spot duplicates and only upload new transactions.
              If you mix and match, do be weary of duplicates requiring manual removal.

Comment

I recently closed my Ltd's accounts with HSBC. The main reason was I couldn't stand the 2FA with that horrible little keypad thing, which made FreeAgent's bank feed a truly painful process.

Happily using Santander now.

Comment

Obviously it doesn't help, as you're not going to switch bank account purely for Freeagent, but for information the Barclays feed is faultless.
                  It doesn't need any login credentials to work, which always seem to be flaky from my experience with MoneyDashboard, which pulls in all your bank accounts into 1 place.

Hopefully, with Open Banking, in the not too distant future all banks will be like this ?

Comment

It is unreliable, that’s down to Yodlee I guess.

If you want a proper direct connection then as far as I’m aware Barclays is the only option.

Hopefully with open banking we might see some proper integration in future.

Comment

Working...
                    X