• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat Rate Scheme for IT contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I record all my expenses in FreeAgent anyway. It's too easy not to. VAT calculations are all done for my accountant..!

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
      I record all my expenses in FreeAgent anyway. It's too easy not to. VAT calculations are all done for my accountant..!
      My accountant reviews every receipt in FA and regularly corrects the VATable amount (I make a lot of errors).
      As you say, no reason not to.

If an accountant recommends FRS to a contractor it's simply less work for them.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Flat Rate for first year.

Make sure to buy all your fixed assets (laptop, etc.) before the Flat Rate start date, and you can claim VAT for those as well.

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
          Flat Rate for first year.

Make sure to buy all your fixed assets (laptop, etc.) before the Flat Rate start date, and you can claim VAT for those as well.
          Although if the laptop purchase (including anything else you buy in the same order iirc) is over £2k ex. VAT you can claim for this after registration too.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
            Although if the laptop purchase (including anything else you buy in the same order iirc) is over £2k ex. VAT you can claim for this after registration too.
            Correct!

Comment

I bought my laptop etc first, then moved on to the flat rate scheme. 1% discount starts from your trading date I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                I bought my laptop etc first, then moved on to the flat rate scheme. 1% discount starts from your trading date I believe.
                No. I’m sure I looked this up a couple of days ago so I could diarise when to switch.

It’s from the effective date of being vat registered (which is on your vat cert) can be different from the date you applied or the date you started trading.

I.e when you register for flat rate you say when you want to start from.

Comment

Originally posted by sketchandsunshine View Post
                  No. I’m sure I looked this up a couple of days ago so I could diarise when to switch.

It’s from the effective date of being vat registered (which is on your vat cert) can be different from the date you applied or the date you started trading.

I.e when you register for flat rate you say when you want to start from.
                  Ahh yeah, just looked up what my accountant said

it is one year from the anniversary of your being VAT registered

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    -20% corporation tax
                    19%

Comment

Originally posted by Michael at BI Accountancy View Post
                      19%
                      12.5%, in this country......

Comment

Working...
                      X