• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Revenue income below 35k - does it make sense to pay dividends?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revenue income below 35k - does it make sense to pay dividends?

Hello guys, another rookie question.
    I expect to make just over 30k revenue as wasnt working all year because reasons. It's my first year as ltd contractor so correct me if I'm wrong.
    Does it make sense to declare dividends if I can only draw them after paying 19% corporation tax and then 7.5 dividend tax outside the 5k allowance? If I paid myself as salary I'd pay 20% therefore less? Where is the error in my train of thought? Thanks for any input!

The error is in thinking that income tax is the only tax you should consider. You would also need to pay National Insurance of 12%. And your Ltd would also need to pay employers national insurance of something like 13.8%.

It may help to run some numbers through a calculator to get an idea of the differences.
    One should also ask one's accountant, if one doesn't have one then phone round a few for a chat - they'll love you for it today
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 May 2019, 13:32.

Comment

Get an accountant.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
        ...if one doesn't have one then phone round a few for a chat - they'll love you for it today
        This is a very good point from His Highness. When you get an accountant, get them to change your year end to a month where they're less busy with people's tax returns.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Get an accountant.

I can see why you was forum personality winner. In 2011!

Comment

Working...
          X