• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£160k pension contribution including previous three years: is this a problem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post
    I don't think he can put £160k in as he will have only just opened up the SIPP. The most you could put in is £40k. The SIPP provider may well have measures in place to prevent the overspend. This seems to have mentioned on the opening page of the thread but seems to have been forgotten about in all the talk about tapering. I will ask my SIPP provider and let you know.
    You can contribute £40K + any unused allowance from the previous three years as long as you are a member of a pension scheme. Doesn't matter if it's a new SIPP. I opened a SIPP three years ago and contributed £80K in the first year.

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
      You can contribute £40K + any unused allowance from the previous three years as long as you are a member of a pension scheme. Doesn't matter if it's a new SIPP. I opened a SIPP three years ago and contributed £80K in the first year.
      And were a member of a pension scheme (any pension scheme) in each prior year for which you are using your historic allowance.

(I appreciate that's probably what you meant, just wanted to be crystal clear for other readers as it seems remarkably common for people to fail to follow the precise logic.)

Comment

Thanks, yes that's what I meant. If I had a pension scheme which I paid into say 20 years ago but not since and the pension account were still active, then that would tick the box.

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
          Cheers ... I didn't realise that.

Comment

Working...
          X