• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to process payment of IR35 contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to process payment of IR35 contracts

Hi
    While I have found lots of information on ir35 rules I cannot find much on how to handle contracts inside ir35 through a limited company. In a nutshell does the company have to pay the extra NI/tax and still decide on salary/dividend split or does all the money earnt (or 95%) have to be declared as individual earnings?
    Thanks
    Mark

Just go with an umbrella? Ones like Contractor Umbrella offer a nice pension option where you can put as much as you want in to minimise your liability.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rawcane View Post
      Hi
      While I have found lots of information on ir35 rules I cannot find much on how to handle contracts inside ir35 through a limited company. In a nutshell does the company have to pay the extra NI/tax and still decide on salary/dividend split or does all the money earnt (or 95%) have to be declared as individual earnings?
      Thanks
      Mark
      There's not going to be any dividends (unless you run the company empty) - you take 5% off the invoices as that's your allowance, then any allowed expenses outside the 5% (eg pension), then pay the rest as PAYE / NI.

If you have alternative income outside IR35 then you could pay the IR35-caught income into your pension and salary (at whatever level) to reduce the payments due.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

An example (we will ignore vat, as you pay it anyhoo)

You are on say £10k a month - a great amount in anyone's wallet

Let's say you work away from home in London and have £2.5K expenses

From your massive £10K you will pay approx 50% in taxes - leaving £5k to take your £2.5Kexpenses from

Or £16 a hour net to your bank account

HMRC pocket £32 an hour

The other £16 you spent in expenses

Sorted ?

Comment

Deemed Payment

I don't understand that last post at all.

Assuming all your contracts are inside IR35:
          • Add up all your invoice amounts (ex VAT) received in the tax year (NB date of receipt not date of invoice)
          • Subtract 5%
          • Subtract allowable expenses such as pensions

Your are now left with a number like £100000

You must now calculate the 'Deemed Payment' (DP). The DP is just is how much the employee is paid when the employer makes a total payment of £100000:

£100000 = DP + ERNI

It's not a difficult calculation but I don't have the details with me. Let's say the DP is £86000. This is the salary payment to the employee (you) and you now pay income tax and EENI on the DP. There is a calculator on the HMRC website (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-c...oyment-payment) which you can use to check your calculation. You can only do this all this at the year end so you can pay yourself an estimated amount monthly in a standard PAYE scheme and deduct the tax and NI from the end of year figures.

Comment

Working...
          X