• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling Ltd and Enterpreneurs' Relief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling Ltd and Enterpreneurs' Relief

Hi all,

So, I was made an offer by someone that would like to buy my company.

I am in full controll of the company and the assets are in the form of cash in the bank.

Would I be able to claim Enterpreneurs' Relief on the proceeds from the sale?

Regards,
    G.

Would the purchaser co-incidentally also be the provider of an LLP tax avoidance 'scheme' that has turned out not to work in practice?

Comment

Hi nucastle,

No scheme or anything.

They just want my ltd. A straight forward transaction.

They are willing to pay in cash. No loans or any other questionable tacticts.

Regards,
      G.

Comment

Wrong sub forum then. Maybe ask to get it moved.

There are a number of dodgy avoidance schemes using what they say is a 'legit' acquisition of your Ltd as an acceptable tax avoidance measure. Run a mile, and keep running.

Comment

Moved.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

this may sound like a stupid question, but why would anyone buy a company just for the cash in the bank?

Unless you're selling it cheap. But why would you do that?

This makes no sense. There is information missing.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              this may sound like a stupid question, but why would anyone buy a company just for the cash in the bank?

Assuming it's a typical contracting company, then this ^^.

Comment

Hi Lance,

One reason is access to a PSL or two.

From my point of view, this is an opportunity to have a break and refocus. Enterpreneurs' relief would be a nice addon.

gov.uk suggests it would be [disposal of share in or securities (or interests in shares or securities) of a company]. However, this has come in a short.notice so I am after a couple of shortcuts to do a bit more reading.

Regards,
                G.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Just wondering if the scheme was...
                  Let's say there was 100k in the company. Normally you'd pay 19k in CT, which takes the value to 81k.
                  If he sells the company for 95k and gets ER, then he's only paying 9.5k in tax, so ends up with 85.5k in his back pocket.

...or something like that, maybe?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

What happens next? Would you plan on opening a new company and carrying on or have you done with contracting?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X