• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividends tax, living outside of the UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I moved 7 months ago thanks, country is not of great importance.
    Aware of the Estonia situation in detail, and the 5 year rule on coming back etc, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by infosec View Post
      Aware of the Estonia situation in detail, and the 5 year rule on coming back etc, thanks.
      The country is of significance, cause many of us would relocate there, if you were telling the truth.

But tell us, what advice did you accountants give you, and what advice did you want them to give you?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Every country has its own tax laws, so the country is indeed very important.

Comment

The country is 100% significant. For example, in Portugal, a non-habitual resident pays a flat rate of 20% personal tax and certain types of foreign income is exempt even from that. I don’t believe this is available elsewhere.

Comment

Ha. Good luck.

Comment

This is the advice the OP wants to read -
              No problem with your plan what could possibly go wrong? Sure it doesn't matter a jot where you moved to, everywhere's the same, happy days.
              Now here's the proper advice - Whatever your new country is, check if it has a dual tax agreement with the UK. Presuming the answer is "yes", then download and study it. I cannot vouch for your present undisclosed location but I have recently studied the UK DTA's with the UAE and Oman. They are actually quite clear and easy to understand. You will know exactly what the tax situation is in the UK and your new, undisclosed location. What it says in the DTA is what matters. Not much else really does. Download and read the DTA then ask further questions. You never know, someone may be able to help.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                The country is 100% significant. For example, in Portugal, a non-habitual resident pays a flat rate of 20% personal tax and certain types of foreign income is exempt even from that. I don’t believe this is available elsewhere.
                They also have a 20% corporate withholding where the underlying services are provided in Portugal.

You can get round it by having HMRC write you a letter that you are fully taxed on worldwide income which can then get you a certificate from the local portuguese tax office which can be forwarded with invoices. It is a bit of a pita.

If withholdings are made you can eventually get a certificate from the portuguese tax authorities to claim relief under the DTA.

System may have changed a little in the last few years.

Comment

Working...
                X