• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dormant company status for HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dormant company status for HMRC

It says in https://www.gov.uk/guidance/corporat...n-tax-purposes

For Corporation Tax purposes, HMRC views a dormant company as a company that’s not active, not liable for Corporation Tax or not within the charge to Corporation Tax.
    Does this mean that event if company was trading but has no corporation tax to pay it is still "dormant for Corporation Tax" by HMRC?
    My company is currently dormant for HMRC. Can it remain dormant till I have corporation tax to pay even if it started trading?

No. Your company is active, therefore it is within the charge to Corporation Tax. Thats 2 of 3

You must register with HMRC

Comment

Does this mean that event if company was trading
      Erm....

For Corporation Tax purposes, HMRC views a dormant company as a company that’s not active,
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Many companies register dormant entities with Companies House - usually for holding group companies, or to register / hold a trading name in a new country or market they might want to trade in in the future.

In basic terms, a dormant company doesn't invoice other companies or have suppliers invoicing it. Here's a blog article that covers it in a bit more detail:

https://www.1stformations.co.uk/blog...rmant-company/

Comment

...not liable for Corporation Tax or not within the charge to Corporation Tax.
          I read that it is: not active OR not liable for Corporation Tax OR not within the charge to Corporation Tax.

Comment

Working...
          X