• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

business trip abroad - staying over the weekend makes it cheaper

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you wanted a flight at 7pm after a working day but a flight at 11:55pm was £400 cheaper, no problem - but if the alternative flight was at 00:05 the next day it wouldn't be?

Perhaps it isn't in the "letter of the law" but you could reasonably defend it

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
      IMO document both prices (screenshots etc) to show that staying the extra day was actually cheaper, then claim away
      That's what I've done in the past, but only for the flight element. I figure that I could argue (!) that there was a legitimate business reason to stay and save money, and failing to do so would be a breach of my fiduciary duties as a director.

I'd also buy the upgrade if it was reasonable and claim that but not invoice the client for it. Though I'd have pushed the client for a business class flight anyway if it was more than four or five hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        The rather obvious solution seems to me to be to claim the GBP 700 and not the GBP 300. Client will be happy because he gets billed for 700 versus 1400 and Hector is happy because you aren't abusing a situation for personal gain. Logical, no?
        If the choice is bill the client £1400 or bill the client £700 and stump up the £300 personally then I'd head home and not pay anything myself. Why should I be out of pocket trying to save the client money for a trip that they need me to take?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
          I figure that I could argue (!) that there was a legitimate business reason to stay and save money, and failing to do so would be a breach of my fiduciary duties as a director.
          fair enough but I wouldn't use that justification in the same breath as ...

I'd also buy the upgrade if it was reasonable and claim that but not invoice the client for it.
          !

Comment

Originally posted by arby View Post
            I need to fly to the US next month to visit a client's site there. An economy class flight costs roughly £1400 flying out on the Sunday and back on the Friday.

I would like to visit a friend which means an additional return flight within the US. Because I would be staying over a Saturday night the total flight cost is actually less, more like £1000.

I think the client would be quite happy for me to bill him £1000 simply because it's less than £1400. But what will HMRC say? Let's say the transatlantic portion is £700 and the US portion is £300 - will HMRC see that £300 as an invalid business expense?

And the airline often offers last minute upgrades to business class if they haven't sold all the seats. I know the client wouldn't pay for the upgrade but I assume I can still claim it as a valid expense as seen by HMRC?
            Tell the client what you are doing, and if they are ok with it, have YourCo bill them the £1K. Visit your friend. Report the £300 as a BIK.

Comment

If the choice is bill the client £1400 or bill the client £700 and stump up the £300 personally then I'd head home and not pay anything myself. Why should I be out of pocket trying to save the client money for a trip that they need me to take?
              OTOH you may think that visiting a good friend in the USA for the grand sum of GBP 300 is well worth paying and not care a hoot about what the client does or doesn't benefit from.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Consider the HMRC claim, and the client invoice separately.

Flight from A to B is £700
                Flight from B to C is £300

(Shorter duration A to B flight is £1400).

The client is happy to pay £1000 for the flight.

So bill the client £1000 for the flight.
                Only put the A to B leg into your books as a cost, don't put the cost of the B to C leg into YourCo's books - i.e. pay for it personally, or reimburse the company for it. Whatever prevents the B to C leg becoming a BIK.

So YourCo makes a profit of £300 on the cost of the A to B flight (£1000 - £700), which you'll pay Corp Tax on.
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                  Consider the HMRC claim, and the client invoice separately.

Flight from A to B is £700
                  Flight from B to C is £300

(Shorter duration A to B flight is £1400).

The client is happy to pay £1000 for the flight.

So bill the client £1000 for the flight.
                  Only put the A to B leg into your books as a cost, don't put the cost of the B to C leg into YourCo's books - i.e. pay for it personally, or reimburse the company for it. Whatever prevents the B to C leg becoming a BIK.

So YourCo makes a profit of £300 on the cost of the A to B flight (£1000 - £700), which you'll pay Corp Tax on.
                  Thanks for all replies - as much as it pains me to admit it you're a helpful lot.

The above is what I intend to do. I definitely won't claim the hire car and meals while visiting my friend; that would be taking teh proverbial in more ways than one. Worst case the client only reimburses the £700 but I'd still be happy with that. I'll pay the £300 and any upgrades out of my own pocket so that HMRC has nothing to query.

The trip is quite legit; there will be several of the client's permies traveling with me. They have to fly cattle class so I can't very well insist on the client paying for business class for me. But I can spring for an upgrade out of my company's pocket if I so chose.

Comment

Originally posted by arby View Post
                    Thanks for all replies - as much as it pains me to admit it you're a helpful lot.
                    I can help tip the balance if you want..
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X