• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Year End Date Change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Year End Date Change

So, doing some admin over the Easter holiay and updated my company year end to extend it so it matches up to the tax year.

Companies House is where I did the application and it has been accepted - anyone know how long until the HMRC system gets updated as that is still showing the old date.

Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
    So, doing some admin over the Easter holiay and updated my company year end to extend it so it matches up to the tax year.

Companies House is where I did the application and it has been accepted - anyone know how long until the HMRC system gets updated as that is still showing the old date.
    It doesn't update automatically. It will update when you submit CT600 and accounts to HMRC.

At least thats how its historically worked, and still works for submitting with professional software to HMRC. If you are using their online services then its conceivable you may need to contact HMRC and ask them to update it if it prevents you filing. If so would try and file and see if it takes it, and then the system will self update.

Comment

Why do you want it to match your tax year?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Confused!

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
        It doesn't update automatically. It will update when you submit CT600 and accounts to HMRC.

At least thats how its historically worked, and still works for submitting with professional software to HMRC. If you are using their online services then its conceivable you may need to contact HMRC and ask them to update it if it prevents you filing. If so would try and file and see if it takes it, and then the system will self update.

So my corp tax for my financial year 2016-2017 is due end of April - can that be changed?

Comment

Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
          So my corp tax for my financial year 2016-2017 is due end of April - can that be changed?
          Can’t answer on that info

- do you mean year end date, filing date, or payment date?

- what did you change year end from / to

- effective date

Comment

Clarity

Can’t answer on that info

- do you mean year end date, filing date, or payment date?

- what did you change year end from / to

- effective date

Sorry, filing date.

Comment

Check your filing date at Companies House, using their beta service or your login. That is the date that accounts for both CH and HMRC need to be made up to.

HMRC follow CHs lead, but, as I said, don’t automatically update.

Filing date at CH is generally 9 months from year end. Filing date at HMRC generally 12 months from year end, but tax due 9 months after year end. In all cases CH record definitive.

Rules differ if you’ve extended a year, as HMRC filings can only cover 365 days so you need to file 2 x CT600 Corporation Tax returns and 1 set of accounts.

Check with your accountant if you have one. If you are DIYing, then I hope this helps. I’d need precise dates to comment further

Comment

Check your filing date at Companies House, using their beta service or your login. That is the date that accounts for both CH and HMRC need to be made up to.

HMRC follow CHs lead, but, as I said, don’t automatically update.

Filing date at CH is generally 9 months from year end. Filing date at HMRC generally 12 months from year end, but tax due 9 months after year end. In all cases CH record definitive.

Rules differ if you’ve extended a year, as HMRC filings can only cover 365 days so you need to file 2 x CT600 Corporation Tax returns and 1 set of accounts.

Check with your accountant if you have one. If you are DIYing, then I hope this helps. I’d need precise dates to comment further
                Ok, precise dates:

Previously
                Company year - 1st July to 30th June
                Filing date: 31st March

Companies House: company year changed to be 30th December 2016 (from June 2016) with filing date 30th September 2018

I am doing the HMRC website rerurn thinking I could DIY it and quickly realising I am making a balls up of this so thinking if I could get some time, I could go to an accountant and get this done properly?

If not, will post what I have done which I think is accurate, but I don't feel as confident as I would like!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your help, rechecked my numbers and submitted to HMRC.

First job on Tuesday, get reviewed by an accountant - I have finished contracting so looking to close the company.

Comment

Why? It’s not like you can ever match it exactly anyway. You’ll be out by 6 days no matter what you do. I just don’t see the point.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X