• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency does not want invoice. I must fill out their timesheet in order to get paid.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Speak for yourself. Most contractors I know (myself included) insist on invoicing whenever possible.

Aside from anything else it makes accounting easier since I can choose when to generate the invoice rather than having to wait for a self-billing note to arrive from the agency when payment occurs.
    Nothing to stop you from generating one early
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

My last 2 agencies used self bill.

On their web forms it had an invoice number reference box so I created one in my accounting package and got them to match up.

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
        My last 2 agencies used self bill.

On their web forms it had an invoice number reference box so I created one in my accounting package and got them to match up.
        I do exactly this. Makes it easier to reconcile, do VAT returns and for the accountant at year end.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          I think this is how almost all contractors work.

They’ll usually generate an invoice for you or you can make one up each month to give to your accountant, it’s fine
          While lots of agencies use self-billing not all do, and if you are direct you have to and send your own invoices anyway. So making generalisations is silly as not all contractors work exactly the same way.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
            And we wonder why HMRC treat us like permies / temporary employees and not like a "real" business.
            Hmm, if you look at the HMRC website here they say:

"This notice is about the VAT treatment of self-billing. Self-billing is a commercial arrangement between a supplier and a customer in which the customer prepares the supplier’s invoice and forwards a copy to the supplier with the payment."

Look very business like to me

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
              And we wonder why HMRC treat us like permies / temporary employees and not like a "real" business.
              Irrelevant.

Originally posted by gables View Post
              Hmm, if you look at the HMRC website here they say:

"This notice is about the VAT treatment of self-billing. Self-billing is a commercial arrangement between a supplier and a customer in which the customer prepares the supplier’s invoice and forwards a copy to the supplier with the payment."

Look very business like to me
              On the ball and to the point.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You really need to get a basic grasp of IR35. That's an awful question to be asking. A one line understanding of IR35 should be enough to not have to ask that.
                Really poor carry on.
                Grief - you really need to get off your high horse.

A simple question; it didn't need all your high and mighty attitude.

For my part, irrespective of self billing and what the HMRC say they want this week, I just have an annual spreadsheet with all the invoices pre-prepared and then get auto filled when filling in my days worked per month - just in case someone, some time, wants to view them. Belt and Braces? Yes indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post

Not really. Crap contractors really get my goat and if the OP takes any notice and steps up then he's had better advice than an answer to a pretty daft question.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post

The simple question revealed the OP doesn't understand what IR35 is about.

However they aren't the only one who has done this in the past. Other posters have complained when they have had to do Health and Safety courses when working on a client site...
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                      Speak for yourself. Most contractors I know (myself included) insist on invoicing whenever possible.

Aside from anything else it makes accounting easier since I can choose when to generate the invoice rather than having to wait for a self-billing note to arrive from the agency when payment occurs.
                      + 1024

10 years of contracting I never accept self-billing and insist on invoicing. All agencies I worked through accepted that and received my invoices. I suspect they simply ignored them but that is their business while I run my own.

Comment

Working...
                      X