• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client wants to pay for hotel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client wants to pay for hotel

Wondering if I should fight this one. Contract is defo outside IR35, no doubt about it, but wondering if this specific instance creates a concern.

I'm charging a client expenses for any travel - flights, petrol, parking etc. I'm re-billing + VAT and showing the client receipts. Sorted.

Client has now expressed that they want to book a hotel on my behalf for the time I spend on site (which isn't much - 4 days initially, maybe 4 days extra every 3 months). They've said they want to pay for it directly because they have corporate rates to make it cheaper.

I was planning on getting an AirBnB for much cheaper than any hotel rates I've seen - not said that to the client yet, but wondering if it's even worth mentioning at this point.

Only concern I have is that its taking control away from me; for various personal reasons I would rather live in a house than a hotel while I'm on site, and choose it myself.

Thoughts?

If the air b+b is indeed cheaper and you volunteer the use of it, it should be fine.

However, it’s perfectly acceptable to use a client’s system to book hotels if it’s cheaper - that’s just good business for everyone.

If it was me and a client was insisting I take a hotel, I’d be packing my swimming costume.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      If the air b+b is indeed cheaper and you volunteer the use of it, it should be fine.

However, it’s perfectly acceptable to use a client’s system to book hotels if it’s cheaper - that’s just good business for everyone.

If it was me and a client was insisting I take a hotel, I’d be packing my swimming costume.
      Thanks

More concerned about it looking like control if I'm honest - I've never had a client willing to pay expenses before, so its all new to me. Don't want to fall down on a technicality when everything else seems perfect

Hotel isn't the end of the world I suppose, I'd just rather not!

Comment

You’ll be fine, I’d just take it and enjoy it!
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Spikeh View Post
          (which isn't much - 4 days initially, maybe 4 days extra every 3 months). They've said they want to pay for it directly because they have corporate rates to make it cheaper.
          ... I would rather live in a house than a hotel while I'm on site, and choose it myself.
          It's only for a couple of days, as you say yourself. And it saves you the outlay/recompense.

If it's a hotel chain, then make sure you get a loyalty card. It's all about the points.

As for the rates, if they are a large company and have a corporate deal with a hotel chain then they will get considerably less than booking.com etc.
          Past clients of mine have had global deals with the likes of Holiday Inn and Marriott. For HI the rate was 50% off the rack rate for a basic room. If the basic rooms were all taken, you got an executive room, but still at the full discount.

it does not raise any flags with HMRC, etc, it is not SDC, because it's about accommodation, not work.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Jesus, let the client pay for the hotel, no ir35 concerns, just your weirdness

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              it does not raise any flags with HMRC, etc, it is not SDC, because it's about accommodation, not work.
              Good point, nicely made. Thanks

Comment

Good point, nicely made. Thanks
                A few others...
                The client may have a per diem allowance for food & drink. That's not SDC either. That's them letting you know they will sign off your hotel bill (or your expenses invoice) up to that value. If they have an allowance, it's worth finding out what the limit is. Also, if you stay at a chain hotel and have a loyalty card, then eat in the restaurant and get the points. Offer to pick up the tab in the restaurant if others are staying there - get even more points.
                Then you end up like me - over £1000 in Amazon vouchers for about 100 nights in Japan 18 months ago. (blowing some of it on an illuminated mil dot scope)

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  A few others...
                  The client may have a per diem allowance for food & drink. That's not SDC either. That's them letting you know they will sign off your hotel bill (or your expenses invoice) up to that value. If they have an allowance, it's worth finding out what the limit is. Also, if you stay at a chain hotel and have a loyalty card, then eat in the restaurant and get the points. Offer to pick up the tab in the restaurant if others are staying there - get even more points.
                  Then you end up like me - over £1000 in Amazon vouchers for about 100 nights in Japan 18 months ago. (blowing some of it on an illuminated mil dot scope)
                  Nice

Half expecting to be plonked in a travel lodge or crumbling z-chain tbh. Don't trust clients to have the same taste / standards as me

Comment

Nice

Half expecting to be plonked in a travel lodge or crumbling z-chain tbh. Don't trust clients to have the same taste / standards as me
                    Travelodge/Premier Inn tend not to do good corporate discounts.

Comment

Working...
                    X