• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to Ireland - keeping my UK job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Ireland - keeping my UK job

Hi all.

My first time here so apologies for my ignorance!

I have an Irish girlfriend and we are looking to move to Ireland around August this year and make it our permanent home.

The company I work for in the UK have said I can keep my job and work from home, and just come back into the office every couple of months. I've been here 2 years and it's going really well, so it feels like it makes sense to keep the job, and working from home will be a bonus in terms of travel/settling in etc.

As this scenario is a first for both of us, I'm looking for some advice on how this will work from a financial point of view. My company are currently looking into the ins and outs but have asked me to look into things as well, so we can find the best approach.

They don't seem keen on setting up an Irish Payroll just for one employee and so are thinking of employing me on a contract basis, with some extra 'perks' to offset things I would be missing out on (pension/holidays etc). There was a brief mention of an Umbrella company that they could set up for me to work under, but this is all new to me! If anyone else is currently working from Ireland and for a UK company and can give me some advice/information, that would be most appreciated!

Contracting, if they do go down that route, will be a new thing for me, especially when working from a non UK country!

Many thanks
    P
    Last edited by Parris; 13 April 2018, 10:03.

Have a good read through a search something like this.
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=irish+...d=&adlt=strict

It will probably mainly cover UK contractors working in Ireland but I'm sure you'll find something the other way around. Mess about with the search term a bit and see what pops out.

Some comments about Umbrella issues you might not be aware of yet here..
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...acting-uk.html

Someone in the same position as you here.
    https://www.askaboutmoney.com/thread...reland.135030/

and so on..

Have a trawl through the link
    Last edited by northernladuk; 13 April 2018, 10:22.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Have a good read through a search something like this.
      https://www.bing.com/search?q=irish+...d=&adlt=strict

It will probably mainly cover UK contractors working in Ireland but I'm sure you'll find something the other way around. Mess about with the search term a bit and see what pops out.

Some comments about Umbrella issues you might not be aware of yet here..
      https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...acting-uk.html

Someone in the same position as you here.
      https://www.askaboutmoney.com/thread...reland.135030/

and so on..

Have a trawl through the link
      Thanks for the reply. I had actually stumbled across the bottom link you sent, but there seemed to be a lot of arguing about who is right. For the company to keep me on full time (from reading the thread), they could just get a company to provide these services for us, or is there a bit more to it? I have also read on here of some people using Icon Accounting or something similar to assist with payroll/Umbrella.

I think from both the company/my own perspective, we are just trying to keep things as similar as possible in terms of employment, but just go down the path with the least resistance i.e. if contracting they'd pay me more to cover private health/pension etc.
      Last edited by Parris; 13 April 2018, 10:56.

Comment

Irish tax is very high, and tax is due where the work is done.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Irish tax is very high, and tax is due where the work is done.
          The rate isn't too much of an issue as they have stated that they will not let me be out of pocket, it's just how best to achieve it in the easiest/best way for both parties.

Comment

Director Umbrella sounds best, contact Icon Accounting, looking back though my gross to net, looks like about 40% tax, so add for that, and insist on health cover, like Laya, cos Irish NHS (HSE) is for the jobless etc, waiting lists are long. Plus GP visits aren’t free.

So decide on your net and double it for rate. Pretty expensive place too especially Dublin so bear that in mind. I’m back in UK now and everything seems so cheap!!

Comment

Stek and I live and contract in Ireland and use icon accounting. Give them a call and look into directors umbrella.

Comment

Thanks for the replies both.

I have said that if I go down the contract route, I will not want to be without private healthcare, so that will be factored into what I get paid. I am waiting for some further information back from HR at work, as they have contacted a financial lawyer to look into the best options. I'll look to contact Icon Accounting too.

Girlfriend has a house in county Wexford (an hour South of Dublin) and her family have businesses in the area, so we will have plenty of support and her parents may be able to help with advice too.

Comment

Originally posted by Parris View Post
                  Thanks for the replies both.

I have said that if I go down the contract route, I will not want to be without private healthcare, so that will be factored into what I get paid. I am waiting for some further information back from HR at work, as they have contacted a financial lawyer to look into the best options. I'll look to contact Icon Accounting too.

Girlfriend has a house in county Wexford (an hour South of Dublin) and her family have businesses in the area, so we will have plenty of support and her parents may be able to help with advice too.
                  Possible alternative is to get Hays to payroll you but the tax will be brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Possible alternative is to get Hays to payroll you but the tax will be brutal.
                    I have sent Icon an email for details. I wouldn't need/want to go through an agency, as I have a direct route in with my company. Hopefully will get some more info from HR in the next few days but appreciate all the help here so far!
                    Last edited by Parris; 13 April 2018, 12:23.

Comment

Working...
                    X