• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting for a UK company in Portugal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew@HillierHopkins View Post
    I would get local advice unless you plan on figuring it all out yourself.

Key is first to determine your tax residency jurisdiction. And it could be that you are tax resident in both potentially!
    Very likely to be for at least a year or more. But it isn't necessarily such a big problem. I have been resident in three countries since July 2016 and I am now back in the UK. I had no problems really working through it myself using the HMRC guidelines and the TaxCalc software package for the annual SARs.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Hi OP, did you ever move to Portugal? In which case what situation did you end up in?
      I'm now trying to figure out how to do the same thing.
      I'm currently in full time employment as an IT consultant, serving my notice period, and planning to move to Portugal in November.
      Would like to go contracting/freelancing for UK companies in my field.

Hoping to get on the lower tax Non Habitual Residence scheme too. Wondering what the most tax efficient/workable wrapper is for me.
      What with IR35 changes coming up soon it's all a bit of a headache!

Would UK companies even be able to hire a freelancer in Portugal without becoming liable for Portuguese tax/social security?
      Could I even be considered a freelancer in Portugal if I'm essentially working 9-5 for a UK company 6 months at a time?
      Does IR35 apply here?
      I'm assuming it's not a good idea to set up a UK Ltd company before I go, and would be considered by the Portuguese authorities to be a Portuguese company, so I'd lose out on the NHR favourable 0% tax rate on dividends and presumably one of the tax authorities would slap a big tax bill on at some point down the line.

Comment

Working...
      X