• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can my company reimburse a charitable donation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can my company reimburse a charitable donation?

Hello. My company would like to make a charitable donation but the site only accepts debit or credit cards. My company doesn't have a credit card and I don't want to use the debit card.

Can I pay this on my personal credit card and reimburse it as an expense? Of course I do this for many other transactions but want to make sure this is fine for a donation to a charity.

Thanks.

seems dubious if challenged.

Why don't you want to use the company debit card?

Comment

Nothing wrong with the company making charitable donations but I agree with the above, what's wrong with using the company debit card?

Comment

Originally posted by concord View Post
        Can I pay this on my personal credit card and reimburse it as an expense? Of course I do this for many other transactions but want to make sure this is fine for a donation to a charity.

Thanks.
        Are you needing the points?

Definitely the company debit card.

Comment

Why not make the donation personally in the first place? You’ll get tax relief on it as long as you don’t gift aid it. Or as the others suggest, use a debit card.

What’s wrong with using the debit card? Smells fishy to me. What are you not telling us?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

the combo of him not wanting to use the company debit card, suggests he wants cash back or points via his personal credit card.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses. My personal credit card doesn't have any perks. I've always been leery of using a debit card, whether company or personal, because of fraud. I don't think I've ever used the company's debit card.

I always preferred to have a buffer between the merchant and the bank account but reimbursing fraudulent transactions made on a debit card may not be an issue the UK. I'll do a bit more research. Thanks again.

Comment

Don't forget to wear your tinfoil hat while researching.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You're going off to so more research around the security implications of using a debit card?

Comment

Originally posted by concord View Post
                    Hello. My company would like to make a charitable donation but the site only accepts debit or credit cards. My company doesn't have a credit card and I don't want to use the debit card.

Thanks.
                    This is what a few MP's did. Make personal charitable donations then claimed them as expenses. They were rightly condemned for the action and had to pay the 'expense' back.

Comment

Working...
                    X