• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help - Client won't pay Umbrella company and umbrella company won't pay me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Umbrella name?
    what use is that? The Umbrella are playing by the rules.

Client name surely? Not that it's wise to mention either at all.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      you clearly care too much about the client.
      How can the workshops be 'required' when they haven't paid you? They don't seem that important.

If they have a history of bad/late payment (which they do) I'd be very cautious about spending a load on travel and accommodation. In fact I'd insist they pay for all the travel and accommodation themselves and provide an up-front per-diem allowance before I went anywhere.

I know, I have made it clear, that if I don't get paid, I can't go anywhere. But at the same time, I am required to run the workshops in Europe, and need to pay for my travel and accommodation this week. At the same time, I feel the threat, that if I can't do my job, I will get the sack...but I can't do my job if they don't pay me. It's a very bad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Don’t Panic.

Take a deep breath and read this Late Payment Legislation Letters Forms & Templates - Pay on Time

You can do most of this yourself , just be methodical and take it one step at a time.

This is a good step-by-step guide to go with the above letters https://www.1and1.co.uk/digitalguide...minder-letter/

Also look up ‘dunning’.
        Thanks. The only trouble is that it's the umbrella that has the contract with the end client...so any reminder letters would have to come from them, and they do not give a toss, and they will not lift a finger to chase payment.

Comment

So threaten the umbrella with legal action.

And the client is taking you for a mug - remember that’s it’s them not paying you.

I would fire them for breach of contract.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

And the client is taking you for a mug - remember that’s it’s them not paying you.

Yes, I have considered that - the breach of contract by the end client.
            It looks like it's getting resolved today. They have involved an intermediary to provide payment to me.

Comment

You are employed by the umbrella company. You have worked for the umbrella company. You are owed money by the umbrella company.

It isn't going to be the full lot you're owed until they get their money, but you're their employee so they need to pay you minimum wage or whatever is in your contract with them.

You are a permanent employee of the umbrella company so make the most of that and get some money from them. That should at least put some food on the table for a little bit. In the meantime, get your hands on a credit card and spend on that while you sort this out.

Comment

The last three umbrella contracts we have seen all had strong "pay when paid" clauses in that precluded the employee taking any action against the brolly if the end client did not pay
                The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Originally posted by Safe Collections View Post
                  The last three umbrella contracts we have seen all had strong "pay when paid" clauses in that precluded the employee taking any action against the brolly if the end client did not pay
                  Then I would only work for client via a Ltd company.

That alone means there’s no point working via an umbrella.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Then I would only work for client via a Ltd company.

That alone means there’s no point working via an umbrella.
                    It could be, just a thought this, that Safe Collections only see problem ones?
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      It could be, just a thought this, that Safe Collections only see problem ones?
                      Well, yes, of course - they get involved when it goes pear shaped.

Comment

Working...
                      X